General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Multiple Alternators Failing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Multiple Alternators Failing

What could cause multiple alternators to fail? I've had 3 or 4 alternators go out on me in the last 18 months. I think the first one was due to a pretty bad power steering leak (about a reservoir full a week), but this last one I can't explain.

The car has been sitting for about 2 months due and only been driven 1 day. (Was started and warmed up every week.) The alternator died on my way home yesterday.

Everything seems to run fine and then all of a sudden, the battery guage starts going down til the ABS, TCS, and airbags turn off. Everytime I've replaced the alternator before, its started right up and ran fine until the alternator goes again. Could there be something else wrong that's causing the alternator to fail? The only other symptoms I have that point to the charging system is that the trip and guages reset every time I start the car (All guages go up to max, then come back down when first started.)

btw, the replacement alternators are Delphi's from Advance Auto.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

you need to keep your battery charged if the car sits for periods of time. your alternator is trying to recharge the battery back up to were it was and overworking itself.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

The car hasn't sat more than 2-3 days except the 2 months before this last alternator went out. The car is my daily driver and has only sat since Nov 1 because of expired registration/inspection. Didn't have the time or willpower to take the alternator off in 20 degree weather last night, so I just took the battery out and am going to take it to have it checked today.

If the battery isn't holding a charge like it should (one of the reasons for the guage reset, or so i've read) would that kill the alternator? Like its basically having to recharge the battery and run all the electronics the whole time the car is running?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

i went through this EXACT same thing. i must have put 6 alternators on in 6 months. finally got a good one (they were just defective from o'reily) finally got a good one, and been fine ever since. also id suggest getting you a digi volt meter u can plug into your cig lighter, i found out the dash volt meter is VERY mis leading.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I had a similar issue but after 2 alternators I finally found the culprit which was my crank pulley spinning on the snout causing my alt not to give any juice to the battery.

Next time you see your guages going funky and the lights dimming pop the hood and look for a spinning crank pulley, I did have an ASP pulley on at the time, I have never heard of this issue for the stockers.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I had a similar issue but after 2 alternators I finally found the culprit which was my crank pulley spinning on the snout causing my alt not to give any juice to the battery.

Next time you see your guages going funky and the lights dimming pop the hood and look for a spinning crank pulley, I did have an ASP pulley on at the time, I have never heard of this issue for the stockers.
My car is doing the same thing! trip meter reseting, light flickering/diming I am going to look into this.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just replaced mine, had been going bad.. which i believe was from my ps pump dripping fluid onto my alternator.

in my experiences with alternators, dont use cheap units that have lifetime warranty's
they'll never last.

also, if u have a bad battery that never can hold a charge, that will over work your alternator aswell

my .02

(i just got back from replacing mine )
Old 12-25-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Alternators are probably going out due to the fact that they're refurbished alternators from your local auto parts store. Either get the original fixed with quality parts or buy a high priced alternator that's known for it's quality. Mine also messed up because of a leak from the PS pump.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most of the others have said, the refurb'd alternators that you get from the parts stores are usually junk, I went thru 5 in a 2 week period, till I just pried open the old wallet and sprung for a new GM one ($238, IIRC) but it has lasted (on my IROC)
I know the price hurts, but would you rather pay once and not have to change it, or learn to change alternators in less then 5 mins
Old 12-26-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just picked up a used acdelco for $70

who can tell a dif?

Quick Reply: Multiple Alternators Failing