General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car is leaking water and I can't find where

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car is leaking water and I can't find where

A few months ago my low coolant light came on, I checked the anti-freeze and it was a little low. I filled it back up and it was fine. A couple days ago I noticed it left a spot on my driveway, and the light came on again. I looked for a leak all over the front of the engine from the throttle body, to water pump, all the hoses and the radiator. It was all bone dry. I took a look under the car and noticed few drops of water coming from inbetween the engine and the K-member. The car doesn't leak all the time, and leaks very little when it does. Does anyone have an idea of where it can be leaking. My car has about 80,000 miles and has never been abused. fwiw its an A4 car, and I upgraded the throttle body in October.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

<looks into crystal ball> your water pump gaskets are leaking...replace with the updated gaskets.....i had the very same problem...i'll bet if you start the car cold and crawl under the frt and watch carefully you will see anti freeze dripping down onto the k member.Once it warms up it stops leaking.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned

good info thanks ....mines doing the same and I just went and took off the intake and throttle body and you can see if leaking from the gaskets. thanks again!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats how mine started too. I could not figure out where I was loseing coolant from then after two weeks it became noticable that the water pump gasket was leaking coolant so I replaced the water pump.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

I finally got a chance to check and my car is leaking from the water pump. Should I just replace the gaskets or the whole water pump? Also what type of gaskets should I get, I remember reading somewhere that 98's used paper gaskets and 99-02 used metal. How long should this take me? One last question, Where can I find a repair manual that actually has info on the LS1. I bought a chiltons awhile back for 93-98 Camaros and it didnt have any info on the LS1, other then HP and TQ ratings
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
I finally got a chance to check and my car is leaking from the water pump. Should I just replace the gaskets or the whole water pump? Also what type of gaskets should I get, I remember reading somewhere that 98's used paper gaskets and 99-02 used metal. How long should this take me? One last question, Where can I find a repair manual that actually has info on the LS1. I bought a chiltons awhile back for 93-98 Camaros and it didnt have any info on the LS1, other then HP and TQ ratings
Autozone sold me a new WP with gaskets for like $ 130.00.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Alright I think I'm finaly going to get a chance to change the gaskets this weekend. I read somewhere on here that 98's had paper gaskets and 99-02 had metal gaskets. Which ones should I get, Also do you think I need to change the pump while I'm at it or will it be ok?