General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 Sensor rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 Sensor rattle?

i took the car in to have the cats looked at and they said it was the o2 sensors rattling, i dont want to replace them becuase they say that they will more than likely go back to being like this in the near future. so my question is there anything that i can do to the sensors to stop them from rattling.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

your sensors screw in to the pipe after the cat....if it is screwed in, it won't/can't rattle-------sounds like they don't know what they are talking about----GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.....
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is is just one side? Any codes? If you're getting P0420 or P0430 most likely it's a cat on that side coming apart internally.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Is is just one side? Any codes? If you're getting P0420 or P0430 most likely it's a cat on that side coming apart internally.
YES,I should have tried to help more--he is right, I bet it is some of the guts of one of the cats coming apart and rattling around inside...if it is,all you can do is cut it off and bang the crap out--but it will happen again probably. I don't run those things anymore.Those people don't know anything if they told you the sensors were rattling.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

no, its probably the o2's. my 01 trans am started doing it at 30k miles. i had my cats replaced, (under warranty of course) at almost 40k when a ses light came on and it still did it. my friends 01 z28 has done it twice now. i finally got two junk, non gm 02 sensors, cut off the wire,screwed them in, and put on a set of sims. cost as much as 1 quality sensor, no more hassle.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
your sensors screw in to the pipe after the cat....if it is screwed in, it won't/can't rattle-------sounds like they don't know what they are talking about----GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.....
O2 sensors on these cars CAN in fact rattle, even when fully screwed/tightened in place. I've been through it, it's a fact.

Here is a recent thread about it.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/431458-weird-noise-coming-my-camaro.html
Old 01-09-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
O2 sensors on these cars CAN in fact rattle, even when fully screwed/tightened in place. I've been through it, it's a fact.

Here is a recent thread about it.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431458
SORRY,but if they are PROPERLY INSTALLED,there is no way they can rattle. Not if they are in proper working order, and they are screwed in right. There is nothing to rattle there if this is the case...Maybe you should ask one of the SPONSORS if they have any problems. I have had mine in and out before I removed them for good,and mine were always tight......BTW...He did not say he had any codes,just noise.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM

there was no noise on them, here is what the report had said, they took out the cats and check them first, they came out to be good. they found the sleeve on the o2 sensor to be rattling on the wire. i dont know if they were in fact just pulling my leg but if i get down there when i have time and check them out and there si no rattleing coming from them then i am going to be pissed
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

My O2's rattled also, took it down to my friends shop, put it on the lift, crimped the metal ring that was rattling with some pliers and it stopped. O2's CAN in fact rattle
Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well,I find it hard to believe you could hear the little tiny sleeve [I know exactly what sleeve] rattling EVEN if it was hit by a hammer over even stock exhaust. They are talking NONSENSE man....I bet it is the gut of the cat,or even a heat shield....there are 2 or 3 of them on our cars. Seriously,it is not that sleeve hitting anything. Take a look at what they are talking about and you will see what I mean.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
My O2's rattled also, took it down to my friends shop, put it on the lift, crimped the metal ring that was rattling with some pliers and it stopped. O2's CAN in fact rattle
that little sleeve.???? you must have the most quiet exhaust in the world. I GIVE UP.. .if that little thing can rattle and you can hear it,I don't think I could handle your cars.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

SORRY,but if they are PROPERLY INSTALLED,there is no way they can rattle. Not if they are in proper working order, and they are screwed in right. There is nothing to rattle there if this is the case...Maybe you should ask one of the SPONSORS if they have any problems. I have had mine in and out before I removed them for good,and mine were always tight......BTW...He did not say he had any codes,just noise.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

I've been there, tested it, and found it to be my issue. Why would I lie?

Doesn't matter if you beleive it or not, facts are facts. Both my rear O2s were TIGHT. Checked, and double checked. They still rattled. No amount of HVAC tape around the rings stopped them from rattling. Only thing that cured the noise was to pull the rear O2s and replace them with plugs.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

that little sleeve.???? you must have the most quiet exhaust in the world. I GIVE UP.. .if that little thing can rattle and you can hear it,I don't think I could handle your cars.
Mine rattled so loud that I could hear it over my cam, headers/ORY plus loud catback system no problem......
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why would you lie.????? Didn't actually say that,now did I...Facts are Facts....just can't believe a little sleeve rattling could be heard,or for that matter,rattle enough to tell it was.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Mine rattled so loud that I could hear it over my cam, headers/ORY plus loud catback system no problem......
OKAY,you are getting carried away aren't you.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Why would you lie.????? Didn't actually say that,now did I...
Semantics.....

just can't believe a little sleeve rattling could be heard,or for that matter,rattle enough to tell it was.
Sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:25 PM

come on now guys this wasn't ment to turn into a big argument!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

it seriously sounded like i had two tamborines zipp tied to my exhaust. just because it hasnt happened to you, doenst mean it cant happen. ive never won 100 million dollars, but there are people who have.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01RedT/A
it seriously sounded like i had two tamborines zipp tied to my exhaust. just because it hasnt happened to you, doenst mean it cant happen. ive never won 100 million dollars, but there are people who have.

Originally Posted by camarossman88
come on now guys this wasn't ment to turn into a big argument!
No arguement, just the facts. FYI, many O2 sensors never develop this condition, so if this is your issue, I don't think it likely that you'll be facing this problem again in the near future (if at all) should you replace them.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friend who's shop I took mine to listened to it as soon as I pulled up because his WS6 did it, so he knew exactly what it was and crimped it. I did have stock exhaust when this happened to me and it was the rings on both of the rear O2's

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor rattle?