Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise coming from my camaro.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry weird noise coming from my camaro.....

hey wats up every one, ever since it got colder outside my z28 has been making weird noises from underneath the car....i brought it to a dealer since its still under waranty and they thought it was the cats breakin up......but it wasnt, they found/thought it was the oxygen sensors rattling ......they supposedly finxed it but it still made the noise.......about 2 weeks later my SES light came on and i brought it to another dealer and the code was for the O2's. they replaced 2 of them and it still makes the noise and even worse now.......noise is described as a rattling sound like metal vibrating off of sumthing other metal and it only happens at idle while in gear and only in gear while stopped, when the car is in motion all noise is gone.....while the car is idleing and rolling its fine too......any one have any suggestions? or ideas? or whatever lemme know if some 1 has had the same problems, do the 02's really rattle also???.....thanx.

~quik01z
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like something broke off one of your sensors. call the dealer and ask, theyll probally deny it. put on ramps and tap around the area of the sensors.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive heard a couple cars that had bad cats and the way you describe it sounds just like that. do you know how they checked to see if the cats were bad?
could possibly be some heat shield rattling too
Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Does sound to me like the O2 sensors rattling is a good possibility. That metallic vibration you described (only at idle, never when the car is moving, etc.) is the exact same type of noise the rear O2s used to make on my WS6. I know for a fact that this was the source of my particular noise.....and I'll explain why: First, I had an ORY so I know for sure it wasn't the cats since I didn't have any. Second, since I had the rear O2s turned off already I was only using those rear sensors to plug the holes in the Y-pipe. Once I realized that the noise was coming from the area of the sensors, I pulled the sensors and filled the holes with oil drain plug bolts (18mm size I beleive...been a while though). After that, the noise was 100% gone, never came back.

Not sure what it is inside the sensors that makes that noise, but sometimes that just happens to them. Putting in new ones should have fixed it, unless the new ones were just noisey as well. Mine weren't always noisey, one day I just started to notice it, then it became progressively worse.

Point is, it is in fact possibile that it could be the O2s making the noise you are hearing.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-04-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing a good old ORY can't fix, man. No rear o2's, no cats, no bullshit. What else is new? Welcome to Tech, finally.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Teching In

I was looking more underneath the car and i think it might ne a heat shield, ill have to look into it further in the future......here why i think its the heat shield.....the sound goes away when i push on the y-pipe...so i think its vibrating off sumthing, im thinking of gettin an ORY with headers and stuff soon so maybe i should just deal with the noise till i change my set up.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem on my vw beetle 01', not the same car, but exact same problem, turned out to be the heat shield on my passenger side cat. sounds to me like its possibly the same thing.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hijack your thread but I just recently got my catback installed and ever since i have been having rattling issues as well. At idle it makes the noise and it keeps going until I get up to speed (10 mph or so). It is really annoying, do you think its possible that the guy who installed it broke something that is causing it to vibrate and rattle, or is it just a loose clamp/connection somewhere?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Teching In

no i dont think that its something loose, and actually, ive been having that same rattling problem before i installed my catback...its just been getting worse to where its annoying as hell when your stopped......i think its probably a heat shield, or very well could be the o2 rattling around...who knows....but i got under my car today and i pushed on the y pipe while the sound was happening and it dampened and stopped, maybe it could be a bracket or something who knows ......ill look into it soon, ill be gettin a different set up soo maybe itll resolve the problem.....we'll see.....got ne other q's lemme know man.....
Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1TA01
but i got under my car today and i pushed on the y pipe while the sound was happening and it dampened and stopped
FYI. Mine also did that when it had noisey rear O2s. I'd apply pressure to the Y-pipe with my boot and that would insulate it enough to reduce/eliminate the sound.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by patricklee88
Sorry to hijack your thread but I just recently got my catback installed and ever since i have been having rattling issues as well. At idle it makes the noise and it keeps going until I get up to speed (10 mph or so). It is really annoying, do you think its possible that the guy who installed it broke something that is causing it to vibrate and rattle, or is it just a loose clamp/connection somewhere?
If it just started after a catback install and the noise continues up to ~10mph, I'd guess that a pipe or the muffler is hitting something. Probably either a heat shield above the muffler, or the I-pipe hitting the upper panhard bar/crossbrace or heat shield where it crosses over the axle. Those would be the places I'd ckeck first. Also, check for any loose clamps as you mentioned.....
Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 AM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem after i installed my cat back system. It was a pipe hitting one of the heat shields causing a loud vibrating sound only when i was parked or putting the car into gear. Check around all your heat shields and make sure nothing is touching oh yeah did you check to make sure your i-pipe isnt touching the cross brace...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome to LS1Tech finally, bitch!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

yes check out everything I thoght I brock my torque are case when i stepped on it there was a loud bang under my car, turn out to be the driver cat bang'n
Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for the help guys! I'll get it checked out and see what happens
Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same noise, I was under the trans am today, and I am 99% sure that sound is coming from the O2 sensors, but not from where youd expect. The heat wrap around the sensor wire has metal ends, and they rattle against the O2 sensor. I hope that helps. when your car cools down get under it and bang on the pipes near the sensors, you should find it.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JDJP
I have the same noise, I was under the trans am today, and I am 99% sure that sound is coming from the O2 sensors, but not from where youd expect. The heat wrap around the sensor wire has metal ends, and they rattle against the O2 sensor. I hope that helps. when your car cools down get under it and bang on the pipes near the sensors, you should find it.
I thought mine was from the metal rings on those heat sleeves as well. I first tried to tape up the rings with HVAC tape, but that only helped a little. It must be something inside the sensor.....

Quick Reply: weird noise coming from my camaro.....