LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Goofy ahh Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goofy ahh Rebuild

New to the forum, hello! However I come here with problems, my cars description is in my sig, and I got it running not too long ago with 3 main issues. The issues are:

1. The car is not a fan of idling, in order to get it to cold idle, the idle screw is turned way up and it's still maxing out my IAC, and rarely it will die when I push the clutch in. It also idles low and rough as the car warms up, right about when it gets to closed loop. Which may be connected to...

2. My o2 sensors do not read right, I've checked the wiring, they will start at 450mv and slowly trickle down to nothing, and yes it goes into closed loop, maybe a slight exhaust leak right at the y pipe, but most of the sound and smell definitely comes from the back of the car. Will include a data log that shows this. Then...

3. If I load it at super low rpm, 1000ish, or while slipping the clutch to get moving, the engine will ping moderately, not much of an issue using a little less throttle and more rpm though.

So that's what's going on, I suspect all 3 of these are connected, my dad and I have tossed around the idea of too tight of a valve adjustment, as it idles worst when it is closed loop but the oil is still coolish. Fuel injectors have been examined as well. The data log I will be attaching was with the original delco optispark which has been replaced recently.

If anyone has any ideas, please throw them at me, I will be watching this thread like a hawk because I wanna drive my camaro. Thank you everyone who responds!

turns out .eedata is not acceptable, no log for us
Old 07-10-2024, 05:26 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Is it tuned?
Old 07-10-2024, 05:32 PM

Oh my bad, tuned by Solomon, I'll add it to my sig.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:44 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Right, so not really tuned.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:35 PM

Man I just wanna fix my car

it's not lean, checked plugs, and it'll produce a black cloud if i want it to
Old 07-11-2024, 01:27 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by NappyNap
...and it'll produce a black cloud if i want it to
Rolling coal with a gas engine? You may be running way too rich.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:09 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Oh my bad, tuned by Solomon, I'll add it to my sig.
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Rolling coal with a gas engine? You may be running way too rich.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:00 PM
Village Troll

I'm going to guess man-crush does not like tunes from Soloman. I've never used the guy, so I have no idea, but where I see red flags is your trying to get an 11:8 engine tuned via mail order and your black smoke comment. If you want that thing to run right you're going to have to get an engine management system which is accepted by a reputable chassis dyno tuner. The other red flag is the "idle screw" which it is not. It's a throttle blade bump stop. It should be adjusted so you can barely see light through the blades. Your idle should be taken care of by the IAC motor. My question is, if you are cranking on that screw, are you also adjusting the throttle position sensor to accommodate the new found position? You can only do so with either an adjustable TPS or by slotting the holes on your stock one. It should be .45 closed and .7 open. There are plenty of threads here on that subject.
The following users liked this post:
Biebs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

I haven't checked the specific voltage but my data logger does appear to say 0-100 percent just fine, I'll do my research on chassis dyno tuners around my area, but it's kinda slim here. I know it isn't an "idle screw" the same way a carb would have one but it won't idle without it turned up.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Village Troll

I haven't checked the specific voltage but my data logger does appear to say 0-100 percent just fine, I'll do my research on chassis dyno tuners around my area, but it's kinda slim here. I know it isn't an "idle screw" the same way a carb would have one but it won't idle without it turned up.
What kind of throttle body do you have?
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

tb is stock
Old Today, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You should never have to (and shouldn't) make any adjustment to the throttle stop. The IAC is in control of idle (as long as it is working properly). Adjusting the stop only makes things more out of whack. Sounds like injector issues if tune is good.

Quick Reply: Goofy ahh Rebuild