General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Post-Hibernation REVIVAL! (Just bought a mint WS6!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Post-Hibernation REVIVAL! (Just bought a mint WS6!)

I know a lot of you guys garage your cars in the winter, well, I call upon your experience to help me bring my newly acquired 2002 WS6 back from the hibernation it's been in for the past 18 months!!!

My home is 50 miles away from where the seller lives, so I want to know what I attend to before I drive the car back home, what I can wait till I get home to do, and what I can wait 5k+miles to do!?

THANK YOU!

- The fuel in the tank was treated with stabilizer before it was garaged.
---Will the fuel need to be treated with any additives or just topped off with fresh fuel?

- The car's 30,000mi old on all original fluids.
---Does the engine coolant, transmission fluid, or differential fluid need to be changed before it becomes a daily driver?

- The car's last oil change was 18 months ago, but only saw 1,100 miles of usage.
---Should I change the engine oil immeadiately?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by di0ck
I know a lot of you guys garage your cars in the winter, well, I call upon your experience to help me bring my newly acquired 2002 WS6 back from the hibernation it's been in for the past 18 months!!!

My home is 50 miles away from where the seller lives, so I want to know what I attend to before I drive the car back home, what I can wait till I get home to do, and what I can wait 5k+miles to do!?

THANK YOU!

- The fuel in the tank was treated with stabilizer before it was garaged.
---Will the fuel need to be treated with any additives or just topped off with fresh fuel?

- The car's 30,000mi old on all original fluids.
---Does the engine coolant, transmission fluid, or differential fluid need to be changed before it becomes a daily driver?

- The car's last oil change was 18 months ago, but only saw 1,100 miles of usage.
---Should I change the engine oil immeadiately?
I'd run the old gas out, then on the first full tank of fresh gas run a full bottle of Redline Fuel System cleaner though the tank, plus a fresh fuel filter.

I'd say to change the oil as soon as you get it home. Shortly after, get the coolant flushed, and it wouldn't hurt to change the trans & rear end fluid as well. Inspect the belts/hoses for any signs of cracking/drying/flaking. Might also want to change the plugs.

One thing to check before you drive the car home,.....check the tire pressure. After sitting for 18 months the tires are bound to have leaked some psi, inflate them back to spec (30psi cold) before making the drive home. That way, you don't have to worry about under inflated tires causing odd steering behavior or strange suspension feel during the 50 mile drive home....

Congrats on the new LS1.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad I bought a new jack (+stands) and toolset after christmas... I got some wrenchin' to do!!!

--- Are the trans and diff fluids changed by just a drain and fill on the LS1?

--- I suspect the diff fluid gets drained by removing the back cover, correct?
-------- [I wouldn't mind changing that gasket anyway]

--- I think i heard the LS1 has an in-line fuel filter, im only familiar with an intank pump/filter design of my current car. Is this something easily changed?

--- Coolant flush should be a cinch: Do you think I should upgrade to a 160* stat while the system is drained? Is it a negliable mod on a stock engine that may actually cause issues?

I'm only asking some basic guidance, not a tutorial. I know there is a search tool and even maintenance manuals online.I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it will be before i get my beautiful WS6 running so I can schedule an appointment and the auto detailer and the window tinting shop!

Last edited by di0ck; 01-13-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by di0ck
I'm glad I bought a new jack (+stands) and toolset after christmas... I got some wrenchin' to do!!!

--- Are the trans and diff fluids changed by just a drain and fill on the LS1?

--- I suspect the diff fluid gets drained by removing the back cover, correct?
-------- [I wouldn't mind changing that gasket anyway]

--- I think i heard the LS1 has an in-line fuel filter, im only familiar with an intank pump/filter design of my current car. Is this something easily changed?

I'm only asking some basic guidance, not a tutorial. I know there is a search tool and even maintenance manuals online.I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it will be before i get my beautiful WS6 running so I can schedule an appointment and the auto detailer and the window tinting shop!
I forget, is the trans an auto or manual? If it's an auto you'll want to change the filter at the same time. Otherwise, (manual) just the fluid drain & refill is fine. Same for the rear. And yes, you pull the back cover bolts off and remove the cover.

LS1 fuel filter is a VERY easy swap, actually it's about as easy as putting gas in the car. The filter is under the car, on the driver's side near the rear wheel. One end of the filter is threaded, the other is quick-disconnect style. Just use a wrench to unscrew the threaded side, then squeeze the plastic tabs on the other end and it pops right out.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

its a manual, by the way. thanks!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Yup I'm planning on changing all my fluids come spring time. Dealer wanted 800 bones for all that. I went to the part shop got everything for under 100. Really by switching to a 160 Tstat your not gaining much untill you can get your fans dropped. Plus i have read lots or yay's and Neys for the 160 T-stat. I opted for it and dropped my fans but I'm really running at 190-ish degrees. I would also change the air filter while i was in there if I were you.