General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, thick goo?

Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, thick goo?

At the filling station I decided to add some Lucas injector cleaner and as I was pouring some into my car's tank I noticed it was taking a while to empty the bottle. Turns out the stuff pours out like a thick goo and even smells like motor oil. Is this suff supposed to be this thick or did I just pour half a bottle of bad cleaner into my tank?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

ive never had any thick injector cleaner and ive used probly 8 or so brands on diff vehicles, it always comes out real quick like 6 seconds and the bottle is empty
Old 01-14-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, the stuff is thicker than other injector cleaners. I've used it for the last few years and never had a problem.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

have any of you ever tried the lucas motor oil additive? Like every autoparts store around me seems to have it and the guys who work there (not that i would really trust them) talk about it alot. Dont know if its worth it or not.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
At the filling station I decided to add some Lucas injector cleaner and as I was pouring some into my car's tank I noticed it was taking a while to empty the bottle. Turns out the stuff pours out like a thick goo and even smells like motor oil. Is this suff supposed to be this thick or did I just pour half a bottle of bad cleaner into my tank?

Thanks
It is thicker than any other brand. I have used it a couple times before, but I never really cared for it. Seafoam works well IMO

Ryan
Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
It is thicker than any other brand. I have used it a couple times before, but I never really cared for it. Seafoam works well IMO

Ryan
What he said.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AMack
have any of you ever tried the lucas motor oil additive? Like every autoparts store around me seems to have it and the guys who work there (not that i would really trust them) talk about it alot. Dont know if its worth it or not.

My Dad uses it in his 1999 Frieghtliner Classic with a 60 Series Detroit 500hp engine. It has 850K+ miles on it. When he had it checked at 800K miles, the guy told him that whatever he is doing to keep doing it. I'm not sure if its the same thing for gas/diesel engines, but if it is, I wouldn't worry about using it.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:29 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Um... the injector cleaner isn't really thick. The engine oil stuff is, but their injector cleaner isn't.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

whehter or not Bob's simple unscientific tests prove anything or not (www.bobistheoilguy.com) I'm not much of an oil additive man.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Um... the injector cleaner isn't really thick. The engine oil stuff is, but their injector cleaner isn't.
Their injector cleaner is thick compared to other brands of inj cleaner. Unfortunately, I had to stock shelves with it every day for five years.

Ryan
Old 01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Injector cleaner is a marketing gimic thought up in the 70's. Those things do absolutely JACK **** for your "injectors". By the time the solution is diluted in the gas tank and actually reaches the fuel rail, there's a micron of it actually flowing through the fuel and it does nothing. The only TRUE way to clean your injectors is put a machine on the fuel rail and blow them out manually with a cleaner.

Save your money....
Old 01-14-2006, 05:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Their injector cleaner is thick compared to other brands of inj cleaner. Unfortunately, I had to stock shelves with it every day for five years.

Ryan
Fair enough... but it's not thick enough where it's not going to pour out of the bottle.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Launching!

I found a bottle and poured some out at work and it was kind of thick The bottle of Lucas had been sitting on my floor board for a few days and was cold to the touch so it must have just thicken up due to the low temperature. Kind of spooked me though, I thought the cleaner had went bad or something. It just didn't look right pouring something into my gas tank that was more viscous then the 10w30 Royal Purple I pour into my engine.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
Injector cleaner is a marketing gimic thought up in the 70's. Those things do absolutely JACK **** for your "injectors". By the time the solution is diluted in the gas tank and actually reaches the fuel rail, there's a micron of it actually flowing through the fuel and it does nothing. The only TRUE way to clean your injectors is put a machine on the fuel rail and blow them out manually with a cleaner.

Save your money....
This is somewhat true, if your injectors are dirty, it'll be hard to super clean them with a fuel tank additive, but if you regularily use a good fuel system cleaner, it'll keep the entire fuel system (and combustion chamber) free of deposits. It's best to use small regular doses of a quality fuel system cleaner with every fillup, instead of one big shock dosage occasionally. I use Fuel Power, but Amsoil's product works well too.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

i used to use it all the time when i had my 99 grand am gt, then it loosened deposits in my gas tank and clogged 2 of my injectors, had to get the entire fuel system flushed, now i only use it maybe 2wce a month

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, thick goo?