General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire

So i replaced my Plugs/Wires last night after my SES light started blinking. A diagnostic told me it was a random misfire. Still doing the same thing. What else could be causing this.

After i installed my wires and stuff i took it out for a drive. Shut it off, then when i turned it back on it started, went to a really low idel, then died. Started it again at it was fine. MAN, im getting tired of this problem lol.

Any ideas?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Default Random Misfire

I have also been plagued with an ses light diagnosed as a random misfire. Mechanic says it can be one of the most difficult to track down... anything from clogged fuel injectors to a faulty mass airflow sensor.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

try putting some really strong injector cleaner in the tank. A clogged injector will give you a misfire. A half bad injector will do the same. If the intake gasket is leaking into the combustion chamber this will give you a misfire. Hint. Losing fluid and you have no leaks that is visual. Check the bolts on all the coils on may not be grounded good or have some corrrosion.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

check your o2 sensors i had the same problem.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Launching!

mine does it at idle.it started after I changed my cam.so I am kinda thinking it is in the tuning for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wilddawg
try putting some really strong injector cleaner in the tank. A clogged injector will give you a misfire. A half bad injector will do the same. If the intake gasket is leaking into the combustion chamber this will give you a misfire. Hint. Losing fluid and you have no leaks that is visual. Check the bolts on all the coils on may not be grounded good or have some corrrosion.
Be very careful with "GOOD" injector cleaner. Not off the shelf stuff that doesn't work. I mean the real industrial stuff, I have bent valves that way. If you dislodge a good piece of carbon, not compresable, it WILL do damage in your engine. Not to scare you, just enlighten you.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Heres a story for you....when I bought my car its a 98 TA and it ran ...."off" didn't seem that bad it was just slow...long story short I had a misfire cylinder one...and a knock sensor code. I do some stuff then pull the valve cover to find a bent and broken intake pushrod. Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tonyt123blue
mine does it at idle.it started after I changed my cam.so I am kinda thinking it is in the tuning for me.
I am basing my experience with my tuning of LTx engines. Very common to have the PCM tell you have a missfire with a cam change. The missfire detection is based on crank rotational speeds. It uses the Crank Position Sensor to estimate a missfire. So if you have a lopey idle it would see that as a missfire because the crank is not rotating as smooth as a stock. A lot of tuners remove the missfire detection at lower rpms.