General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pop up headlight broken... not the motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default pop up headlight broken... not the motor

Ok guys , my headlight motors don't make any weird noises at all and so far I have had ZERO problems with my pop up headlights.

Yesterday I turned them on and only the drivers side went up all the way... the passengers side went up about 1/4 way and stopped. The weird thing is I found that if I pop the hood or open it completely they will both go all the way up and all the way down with no problem at all. What the hell is going on here and how do I fix it? I have never heard of a problem like this before...

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

any ideas??? anybody?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I took a second look at it and it seems like the headlight is hitting the hood while its trying to open. Like the headlight is farther back than before... How could this happen all of a sudden ? Is it just a simple adjustment to fix it? Seems like I'm fixing something different every week now...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like some ******* was sitting on your front bumper. The linkage on the pop ups is pretty flimsy, it doesn't take much to bend it. Have someone operate the headlights up and down, while you observe all of it's motion. If you can see where it is hanging up at, then just try to gently pry it away.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either that or the cover that blends the light into the hood is tweaked a bit so it doesn't line up right. Maybe undo the screws that hold down the tabs on the back and front of it and shift it around a bit.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

That headlight has never quite sat right since I'm pretty sure my car has been in a minor accident before I bought it...

Last time I changed the headlight bulbs I tried to adjust it to make it sit a little better and maybe the adjusting screw came loose over time letting it shift back making it jam up...

I just wish I would have caught it before it rubbed all the paint off the edge of the headlight... I'm a short guy so I can't even see if the headlights are up or down...
Old 01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Just an update for you guys, I think I fixed it, for whatever reason all the rubber topped screws that determine how the headlights are aligned were way out of whack compared to the drivers side. I adjusted a few of them and it is no longer hitting the hood when coming up.

Would I be able to get some touch up paint at pep boys or autozone or something to fix the paint that was chipped off from rubbing on the hood ?