General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car lifted wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymosis
22nd and Cornhusker. TO Haas was going to charge me 160 to mount and balance 275/35-18's. Obviously I was like screw that.

And I have never been to dyno dans.

What color is your car, btw.
Its a black ws6. I am going there fri night to install my new heads and cam. Dan is a really good guy and will go out of his way to help with anything.

TO Haas only charged me 35 to take my summer tires off and put on/mount and balance my winter tires, and I bought the tires from tire rack... they were trying to screw you!

I insisted on showing there where to place their lift mounts when lifting my car. Pretty self explanitory though because on the tabs it says "No lift here"
Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 954RR
Its a black ws6. I am going there fri night to install my new heads and cam. Dan is a really good guy and will go out of his way to help with anything.

TO Haas only charged me 35 to take my summer tires off and put on/mount and balance my winter tires, and I bought the tires from tire rack... they were trying to screw you!

I insisted on showing there where to place their lift mounts when lifting my car. Pretty self explanitory though because on the tabs it says "No lift here"
It's because it was an 18, and they don't want to scratch the rim, so they use their 10,000 buck machine.

How is Dan at tuning, I havent heard great things, but also havent heard anything bad. I have heard he is pretty nice though. I wish there was a market for a 'real' performance shop here, but there isnt really, so we are left with that.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

At least they took the blame!

I have another BS story from Walmart's service center here in Minnesota...

My buddy took his 99 ZR2 S10 in for an oil change, and a tire rotate....

About an hour later its done, and right away we notice one of the center caps is missing................. The wheel hub that is now showing is SUPER clean, so we thought they just forgot the cap.. asked for the cap, and the guy said there was one missing when it came in......... "Uh, no they were all on there" my buddy says.. Then another one of the service techs said he noticed a cap missing.... We check behind all the other caps for how dirty it was.. They were all wayyyyyyy too clean to believe a cap was missing. (he had just gone muddin couple days before and had not washed the truck) Well long story short... We asked to view the tapes, and were told customers cannot view the tapes unless the issue goes to court... Well a cap is what $20? Not going for that, but the MGR did call the next day to say the cap had been found while the guys were cleaning the shop.... WTF!? Lied to by 2 people.. The camera showed them removing all 4! Dis-honest people **** me off more than anything! Do a cap,scratch, and no lift damage before you take your **** anywhere guys!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Launching!

It's because it was an 18, and they don't want to scratch the rim, so they use their 10,000 buck machine.
Mine are 17" TTII and no scratches here for 35.... I think they know better than to scratch rims cause people like you and I would flip.

How is Dan at tuning, I havent heard great things, but also havent heard anything bad. I have heard he is pretty nice though. I wish there was a market for a 'real' performance shop here, but there isnt really, so we are left with that.
He is pretty decent.(Hopefully good enough to make a TSP torquer 2 streetable) I think he has been doing it for 5 years or so. Prices are good as well, he is letting me install heads/cam in his shop for cheap and, I get a ton of pulls to get it tuned correctly. If something isn't working quite right on the dyno he is quick to point out what it is and fix it or whatever it takes. Like I said he will go clear out of his way to help.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Heck, we could start a club on this stuff.
(been there)
I know the '96 Camaros still had the jack pad
up front.
I'm guessing it was removed in '98.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine are 17" TTII and no scratches here for 35.... I think they know better than to scratch rims cause people like you and I would flip.

He is pretty decent.(Hopefully good enough to make a TSP torquer 2 streetable) I think he has been doing it for 5 years or so. Prices are good as well, he is letting me install heads/cam in his shop for cheap and, I get a ton of pulls to get it tuned correctly. If something isn't working quite right on the dyno he is quick to point out what it is and fix it or whatever it takes. Like I said he will go clear out of his way to help.
I'd love to see your car sometime, hell before or after you get that work. And if you need a hand (Never done heads) let me know.

How much does he charge to tune btw?

I ended up going to HPE to have my cam done and tuned (too good of a deal to pass up) Like 1150 installed, tune, and new springs/pushrods/retainers.

I figured if I bought a cam kit, took the time to do it myself, then took it somewhere for tune it would be about the same price. And it was an excuse to get out of bum **** nebraska for a while
Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

How much does he charge to tune btw?
I think something like 200 or more not sure though. I have been on the rollers a few times and just paid him a little here and there.
It would be a wideband tune on the dyno though, and then he will ride around with you while you drive it and log data and then get the drivability part right.

I am usually down at UNL in classes all day, but occasionally I go to Culvers on 70th on fri nights for their car show. LOTS of interesting stuff there and it usually ends up with a bunch of ricers trying to line up some races
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think something like 200 or more not sure though. I have been on the rollers a few times and just paid him a little here and there.
It would be a wideband tune on the dyno though, and then he will ride around with you while you drive it and log data and then get the drivability part right.

I am usually down at UNL in classes all day, but occasionally I go to Culvers on 70th on fri nights for their car show. LOTS of interesting stuff there and it usually ends up with a bunch of ricers trying to line up some races

I was quoted alot more than that. Especially for ls1 edit, becuase individual license would have to be purchased for 400 or so.

I'm at UNL all day as well (well I live there, lol). And at culvers all the time, yet never have seen you.

You do anything on the local scene like SCR etc?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Hmm... I know for a fact that he doesn't use ls1 edit, anyhow if he did he would just but the unlimited version which is 2-3000. I used edit and it a cumbersome program to use, and has been far surpassed by HP tuners and EFI live. For your car he would use HP tuners as he does with my car because he has the license for those particular years of cars.

Engineering is fairly demanding and I am getting close to graduating so the stuff is getting hard, so that is why I said I am occasionally at culvers. This summer I will go a little more often because of less classes.

Do you live in the courtyards or village? I have a few friends down there that are into cars and such.

Not sure what SRC but not I don't know really anyone from the local seen yet, just a few guys on gmmodern muscle and the few that I have meet at Dan's. I transferred up here about a year ago so that doesn't help.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm... I know for a fact that he doesn't use ls1 edit, anyhow if he did he would just but the unlimited version which is 2-3000. I used edit and it a cumbersome program to use, and has been far surpassed by HP tuners and EFI live. For your car he would use HP tuners as he does with my car because he has the license for those particular years of cars.

Engineering is fairly demanding and I am getting close to graduating so the stuff is getting hard, so that is why I said I am occasionally at culvers. This summer I will go a little more often because of less classes.

Do you live in the courtyards or village? I have a few friends down there that are into cars and such.

Not sure what SRC but not I don't know really anyone from the local seen yet, just a few guys on gmmodern muscle and the few that I have meet at Dan's. I transferred up here about a year ago so that doesn't help.
Yeah I live in Village Let me know if you are ever there, we can meet up or something.

I dont know alot of people on the local scene either, because there really isnt a huge scenes, especially for fbody.

I was sure that he used LS1 edit about a year ago, but I guess I could be wrong. I may buy hp tuners just to learn.

As for engineering being demanding, I hear ya
Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Launching!

The village doesn't look to bad... just a little more than I wanted to pay. I love living off campus and well.. I have my own garage.

What engineering are you in? Mech E? If so what do you have for classes, maybe I have one with you or something. Do you know paul rogge? I think he lives down there and is pretty big into mustangs and stuff, aso is an mech engr.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the same freaking thing happened to me. The idiot that was changing my tire jacked it up in the wrong place. Then when I called him on it he said it was already like that when I brought the car in. I told him no way!! I would have known about something like that! So I got down and looked under the car and I showed him how he had bent the lip that the fender is attached to. He apologised and I bent the lip back in place with a short 2x4 and a ball hammer. He was lucky that it wasnt more permanent damage. Good help is hard to find sometimes. I would have been okay if he had owned up to his mistake. I know we all cant be perfect all the time but we can all be honest!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow this suprisling happen to my car 3 times by the same shop and now when they finally went to bend it back they cracked them.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Launching!

about a month ago i got new tires and the place forgot to tight the lug nuts on one wheel that was alot of fun
Old 12-14-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy to fix I'va done myself twice, firts take the fender off go under the car and with a hummer hit the metal that was bend to its original position and boila
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea seems like when they went to bend it back they snaped them now.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad to see you got it fixed. When you take your car to ANY place you have to watch over them like a hawk to make sure they know how to jack up the damn car.

I try to stick with sponsors from this board just so I can have some piece of mind that they know how to jack up the car correctly and not have to worry about having bent fenders.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

true im pretty sure most of the sponsers know how to lift a fbody right