General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car lifted wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Car lifted wrong

So I had to have my tire fixed becuase the bead wouldnt sit, and was leaking air. So I stopped into the place that mounted and balanced them (very well, I might add) 30 mins before the closed, becuase I didn't have alternate transportation tomorrow. They put the car on the lift, fixed it, and I drove away about 10 mins after they were closed.

I get to my next destination, and the plastic part right infront of the door on the passanger side is sticking out. I'm assuming the dumb asses lifted the car wrong, (I can't search to find anything worth **** right now). What recorse do I have against them? I tried to go back, but they were obviously closed.
Attached Thumbnails Car lifted wrong-01-23-06_2021.jpg  
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a pretty common F*** up amongst shops that don't quite know what they're doing with F-Bodies...

Since you left before you noticed it you probably can't do anything to the shop... I would bring it up to them anyway...

But I'm pretty sure its just a matter of hammering a few things back into place under the car. I have never done it before but I've read threads similar to this one dozens of times...
Old 01-23-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

They closed when I left, got to best buy to be exact, and noticed it was screwed up.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common issue with jacka$$es that don't know where to lift the car at. The Pontiac dealer did it themselves to my buddies Ws6.

The problem is they lift the car on a metal tab which has the lower part of the fender connected to it. The tab bends, and since the fender is attached to it, pushes the fender out. Just like what you have.

You should be able to straighten it out yourself pretty easily depending on how bent it is. I fixed his by using a pair of vice grips (or pliers) and bent the tab back to 90 degrees in relation to the floorpan. You'll see the panel suck back in while your doing it. Just tweak it till things line up.

If you see an actual crack in the bent edge of the metal tab, don't touch it. Then I'd make them take care of it. Otherwise if it breaks, they'll say it was your fault for screwing with it. It should be alright though. Usually takes more than one bend like that to fatigue the metal enough to break off.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokin 01
This is a common issue with jacka$$es that don't know where to lift the car at. The Pontiac dealer did it themselves to my buddies Ws6.

The problem is they lift the car on a metal tab which has the lower part of the fender connected to it. The tab bends, and since the fender is attached to it, pushes the fender out. Just like what you have.

You should be able to straighten it out yourself pretty easily depending on how bent it is. I fixed his by using a pair of vice grips (or pliers) and bent the tab back to 90 degrees in relation to the floorpan. You'll see the panel suck back in while your doing it. Just tweak it till things line up.

If you see an actual crack in the bent edge of the tab, don't touch it. Then I'd make them take care of it. Otherwise if it breaks, they'll say it was your fault for screwing with it. It should be alright thought. Usually takes more than one bend like that to fatigue the metal enough to break off.

Good luck.
Explains why the tab was severly bent, and was scraped. It only did it on one side thank god, but the other side was actually bend worse. I'm so pissed right now its unbelievable. I will be raising hell bright and early when they open.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

i work at discount tire company. with our policy we would fix it for you. we would give you the name and number of two auto body shops. and you could pick between the two. we have had to fix a cuple tail gates on truck dew to new people lowering the truck with a jack handle under it with it open.

we have done a lot of fbodys and ive never seen that happen. we have crushed and exhaust befor tho. even using blocks under it. i think we use jacks on all fbodys and mustangs now
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Default happened to me twice

I have had 2 98 formulas and both have been damaged in the same way within days of getting them when I had new tires put on. The second time I even told them the story about the first time and they still did it (second shop). Drove away and didn't notice until next day the first time not the second. both shops turned it in to their insurance and paid to have it fixed. Don't touch it yourself until you speak to them and their insurance company if need be.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerry buckamneer
I have had 2 98 formulas and both have been damaged in the same way within days of getting them when I had new tires put on. The second time I even told them the story about the first time and they still did it (second shop). Drove away and didn't notice until next day the first time not the second. both shops turned it in to their insurance and paid to have it fixed. Don't touch it yourself until you speak to them and their insurance company if need be.
Its good to hear that they may fix it. Anything I should say to them specifically and how much did you get to get it fixed? And how long did it take?

I had a similar incident with a towing company. And they showed no mercy. They told me to take them to court and threated to call the cops if I came on their private property again. Most rediculous experience ever, just don't want that bs to happen again.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Launching!

WOW! mine is like that and I didn't think I would be able to fix it without a body shop!!! Yahooooo!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Its good to hear that they may fix it. Anything I should say to them specifically and how much did you get to get it fixed? And how long did it take?

I had a similar incident with a towing company. And they showed no mercy. They told me to take them to court and threated to call the cops if I came on their private property again. Most rediculous experience ever, just don't want that bs to happen again.
They know they did it.

If you paid with a credit card, then threaten to charge it back. Credit card companies almost ALWAY decide with the buyer and never the merchant. Even show the credit card company pics of what they did to your expensive ride! Maybe you could even threaten to hand out flyers if they don't fix what's wrong.

If they don't fix it report it on http://www.bbb.org/ just to make them feel obligated to fill out some extra paper work. BBB won't actually do anything but it will bug the shop's owner to know he has a "record" of what he does wrong.

It sucks to be screwed like that. The worst thing you can do is nothing even if they ultimitely get away with it. Maybe they will think twice the next time around.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Similar incident happened to a friend of mines Camaro at a WalMart. I know, I know. *SIGHS* Don't ask me why he took it to WalMart for service but regardless, damage was done.

BE SURE to get underneath your car and check to see if the lift damaged your undercarriage underneath the doors. My friends Camaro had dents in the body that you could not see unless you were looking for them courtesy of the lift and stupid employees. ALSO, his car shifted so badly on the lift that there was a huge crack in the dash that was not there before it entered that cursed garage. BE SURE to check yours for any damage. If I remember correctly his crack was about a 4 inch crescent shape crack near the pillar on the passenger side of the dash nearest the windshield.

Let us know what happens and how this pans out man. Good luck to yoU!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

When you go in, find the owner and treat him as if you believe him to be honest and interested in great customer service. Let him know that you realize it's an easy mistake to make. At least start from that position and see where it goes.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

After calling the manager of that store, and returning the car. They called around, found a close place that would do the job, and the problem was resolved hassle free. Within 2 hrs the car was like before. The shop I went to was awesome as well, the owner had seen the problem before, and was very upstanding guy. Now they will get my business when I decide to get my hood painted. (Even got quotes.)

In the end everything got worked out. (It was a Graham Tire, for those in the midwest interested in knowing)
Attached Thumbnails Car lifted wrong-01-24-06_1025.jpg  
Old 01-24-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on getting it fixed. With all the horror stories we always hear with shops these days it's nice to hear that your's turned out for the better.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

I had the same thing happen to me at the track...They were weighing cars for the class I was in and the dummy just stuck the jack under it and lifted...I was sitting in the car at the time and didn't see it...But my buddy chased the idiot around the car a couple times before catching him and showing him "up close" what he did...lol
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Which gram tire was it? I always take mine to TO Haas up here. Nice car by the way, I think I have seen it around town or maybe at Dyno Dans?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 954RR
Which gram tire was it? I always take mine to TO Haas up here. Nice car by the way, I think I have seen it around town or maybe at Dyno Dans?

22nd and Cornhusker. TO Haas was going to charge me 160 to mount and balance 275/35-18's. Obviously I was like screw that.

And I have never been to dyno dans.

What color is your car, btw.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen to my car a few months ago when I took it to a local tire shop. I've always taken my car to this shop, and they have a great reputation in the Birmingham, AL area. This dumbass who lifted my car up that day wasn't paying attention and crushed the lip that sticks down underneath which kicked the panel out. I noticed it as soon as I walked out to my car, and the more experienced guys at the shop spent an hour getting the panel flush with the door again. The whole time they were giving the guy who lifted my car up ****. I think he learned his lesson. I'll still take my car back to that shop though because they fixed their mistake, have never scratched my rims, and are very professional. It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know these cars.

Zymosis, I'd take your car back to the shop, and show them. If they're a good shop then they'll get it fixed for you.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

ok guys...quick question since we're kinda on the subject...if you buy a car with set items wrote up in a due bill that dealerships don't take care of rightfully...do you have grounds to prosecute if they want to be dicks about it? just curious...cause the place i got my car from is trying to kinda dick around with me now...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
I had the same thing happen to my car a few months ago when I took it to a local tire shop. I've always taken my car to this shop, and they have a great reputation in the Birmingham, AL area. This dumbass who lifted my car up that day wasn't paying attention and crushed the lip that sticks down underneath which kicked the panel out. I noticed it as soon as I walked out to my car, and the more experienced guys at the shop spent an hour getting the panel flush with the door again. The whole time they were giving the guy who lifted my car up ****. I think he learned his lesson. I'll still take my car back to that shop though because they fixed their mistake, have never scratched my rims, and are very professional. It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know these cars.

Zymosis, I'd take your car back to the shop, and show them. If they're a good shop then they'll get it fixed for you.
Problem fixed, look a few posts up. I'm just glad it did work out, I was worried that it wouldnt. Hard to find honest reputable places these days.