General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Torque for Jam Nuts on Adj. Panhard Rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque for Jam Nuts on Adj. Panhard Rod

I've got a double adjustable panhard rod (two rod-ends, one of them w/ a lefthander thread). How tight do I need to torque the jam nuts? Will just a little more than finger-tight be enough? Also, for on-the-car adjustment, how do I tighten/loosen the passenger's side jam nut easily? I've got the bracket in the way, and the only thing I can fit in there to adjust it is a needle-nosed vise grip. Right now, none of my crescent wrenches can get in the space, and although I don't have the right size open-end wrench for it, I don't think that would be small enough to fit either. Any tips from the veterans on how to handle this? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the panhard bar could effect the alignment of the rear axle if the rod ends were allowed to move. In that case I would make it decently tight, but not the grip of death tight. Finger tight would certainly vibrate loose, right?

Does anyone argree with about 25-30 ft/lbs?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car isn't lowered, or it doesn't need adjustment measure the length of the stock one (center to center of each hole) and adjust the bar to the same length. Use blue loctite on the jam nut threads so they won't come loose - one of mine did because I didn't - came loose and rattled so loud though my hatch was falling off. 25-30 ft/lbs sounds about right, I "guestimated" on mine.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good to me, thanks for the replies, guys.

Now, is there a way to *not* guesstimate the torque and actually torque one of those suckers right? I can't think of any way to get a socket and torque wrench on that thing. If you can tell me that, to you
Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone probably makes a short handle open end wrench with a hole in the end that you can put a ratchet handle into, won't help you on the passenger side though. Instructions that came with mine never gave the locknut torque specs anyway, so figured it wasn't that critical.