General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GM Top End Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do this until it is time for an oil change, and a plug change. It will likely foul some plugs. It may also leave some junk in your oil.

Also, a suggestion. Because I can't get any of that good stuff here, I have been using water, as close to distilled as possible, and use a basketball needle as a restictor so that not too much can flow at one time.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

A little update here. I posted in here that I thought using Seafoam fouled my plugs and killed my O2's. While I said I wasn't 100% sure it turns out I was wrong. I had my buddy hook my car up to a scanner and everything is fine. My O2's are cycling just fine. I also talked to other people in the area and it turns out this part of PA has gone with that stupid winter mix gas hardcore. Others are down to 13-14mpg just like me(they were getting around 17-19). God I hate the EPA.

So, disregard "my" statement about the plugs and O2's however I've still heard it can foul them if you have really heavy carbon buildup.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Well there is different one's. I bought the beryyman chemtool 3 way. First there is a can that you spray the entire can into the tb while running. second you take off the pcv valve and let the motor suck the second can into the intake manifold. third step you pour the clean into the gas tank.
Really depends on what one you got.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

I inserted the Top engine cleaner through here. This is the PCV. I used a small funnel and went slowly. The engine will sound like it is going to die. I had my brother hit the throttle slightly when it needed it. I left it overnight. When I started it in the morning and hit the gas, Holy ****!!. Smoke City. You may experience a little misfire until it is all burned through, but don't worry.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ya'll got it at autozone or what? i've been wanting to do it but the service at the autozone is not very A+....lol... it's called Sea Foam straight up and whats the best cleaner kit to get? i'm sooo goin to smoke the naborhood up! whahahahaha lol
Old 02-03-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got the GM Top End Cleaner from a dealership, it was only like $6.75 or something......pretty cheap really.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

I bought this stuff at the dealer...says top end cleaner on the bottle. Is this the right stuff? Some are saying it's in a spray can? Also it says on the bottle "for professional use only"...WTF?

Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

holy fkk that thing is small!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not sure if that is the gm top end cleaner as i have always used seafoam...seafoam is amazing and is really great for cleaning the top end of cars..i fell in love with it after my first use...i think i remember someone saying they were gonna take it off the market due to its extreme effectiveness but later decided not to
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my top end cleaner is in a big metal can, like the size of spray paint cans.

well u cant put too much in it at once because the engine might get damaged.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I bought this stuff at the dealer...says top end cleaner on the bottle. Is this the right stuff? Some are saying it's in a spray can? Also it says on the bottle "for professional use only"...WTF?

Ive used GM Top Engine cleaner in my last 4 vehicles, and it has *never* looked like that.

Odd.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

How long will the car smoke after you put seafoam in the engine? Cops are pertty picky here in Cali can will the soke die out by letting it idle for a while?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
How long will the car smoke after you put seafoam in the engine? Cops are pertty picky here in Cali can will the soke die out by letting it idle for a while?
You have to get on it to clear the smoke. I would say it will smoke for about 5 minutes heavy then begin to clear. Just sit and rev it in place. Do not just let it idle because it will not burn off. There really is too much smoke to drive right away. You will attract attention. Once it starts to clear drive the car. You may experience some misfires, but do not worry it will clear as you drive.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

too much = when the engine dies, stop pouring more in ASAP. Don't have some left in the funnel still going in, etc. easiest way to hydrolock is to pour more in when the engine is already stopped.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just got my plugs changed last week, cost me bunches of money..How many people that used this sea foam ruined there plugs??
Old 03-31-2006, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

same here....i wanna do it, but i just changed my wires/plugs??? oh...and i just installed a new cat from a muffler shop. a few hours later, I un-bolt the exhaust and the cat has soo much black sh** inside it??? after like only an hour of it being on?? what does that mean? The car isn't pulling right...some one help!!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

did the seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line, i poured it in through a funnel very slowly at running temp and i had a friend rev it up when needed. I stopped pouring when the can was 3/4 empty and let it sit for 15 mins. came back started up the first time and a little cloud of smoke came out. I expected to need a gas mask for the smoke but the exhaust just smelled different. I then decided maybe i needed to pour some more in, so i added the other 1/4. Not to much smoke tho. I did see some smoke once i started driving it but not for long and not alot. Did i pour it in too slowly that it just burned off?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
did the seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line, i poured it in through a funnel very slowly at running temp and i had a friend rev it up when needed. I stopped pouring when the can was 3/4 empty and let it sit for 15 mins. came back started up the first time and a little cloud of smoke came out. I expected to need a gas mask for the smoke but the exhaust just smelled different. I then decided maybe i needed to pour some more in, so i added the other 1/4. Not to much smoke tho. I did see some smoke once i started driving it but not for long and not alot. Did i pour it in too slowly that it just burned off?

How many miles are on the motor? I did the seafoam at 60K and didn't have much smoke at all. I just didn't have much carbon buildup.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

yea i guess that was the problem, i have 70k on my motor. thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Default Next Fill Up use Marvel Mystery Oil.

This is one of the best kept secrets of the automotive world.
http://www.pipercubforum.com/marvel.htm Aviation fuel has a lot of lead in it and MMO helps keep it dissolved so it will burn away. WWII they had it in 50 gal drums to pour in the av fuel and it was all that kept the plugs from fouling out.

In the fuel system,: "Use the directions on the back for amount to put in the fuel per gallon of fuel (4 to 6 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel). MMO goes through the carburetor as a droplet, broken up like the fuel. When it enters the combustion chamber and the gasoline ignites, it is vaporized and soaks into the carbon buildup on cumbustion chamber walls, valve guides, around the valve stem, and on the spark plug. It soaks into the carbon and eventually loosens it up and it goes out the exhaust system."

32 0z at Wally World is $2.97, next time you fill up follow directions and put some in and it will clean your top end. When I change engine oil I add two cups MMO to keep dirt, varnish and gum dissolved so it gets caught by the oil filter.

for aircraft engine this says add 5 hours before oil change but I leave it in all the time. "Use one pint Marvel Mystery Oil about 5 hours before oil change. If screen type system, be sure to clean screen. Then, in the new oil, install one-half pint MMO. This cleans the carbon and sludge collected in the engine passages and crevices and hydraulic lifters, and stores it in the bottom of the oil kidney. Some will make it to the screen, but either place it will be removed at oil change."

Quick Reply: GM Top End Cleaner?