General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GM Top End Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black sooty exhaust.

"I un-bolt the exhaust and the cat has soo much black sh** inside it??? after like only an hour of it being on?? what does that mean? The car isn't pulling right...some one help!!"

Black sooty coating usually indicitative of rich fuel burn. Find a shop that has an analyzer probe they put up the exaust to measure emissions and that'll tell you for sure. Maybe go to Advance Auto and ask them to pull codes and see if something in the throttle body or ECU is amiss. If the black soot has some oilyness to it could mean oil getting is into the exhaust.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

That was me. Can a bad O2 sensor cause my car to run rich? or how about the opti-spark?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

I just changed my plugs and wires, but my dumbass forgot to use seaform/top end cleaner before I did it all. My car has 100k on it and to my knowledge has never had a cleaner run through it. Should I try using seafoam through the booster or not?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Default bad o2's

Yes a bad o2 can definately get you running rich, they will usually come with a code though. The service interval for the o2's is 100k, so...something to think about, mine cost me ~$160 at O'Riley's.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna do this sea foam to the Geo Tracker I want to smoke out my apt complex. 180K miles on it I think it should smoke alot. Does seafoam make the three step kit talked about earlier in the thread? Intake, brake booster, and the gas tank additive?
Nate
Old 04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Huney
"I un-bolt the exhaust and the cat has soo much black sh** inside it??? after like only an hour of it being on?? what does that mean? The car isn't pulling right...some one help!!"

Black sooty coating usually indicitative of rich fuel burn. Find a shop that has an analyzer probe they put up the exaust to measure emissions and that'll tell you for sure. Maybe go to Advance Auto and ask them to pull codes and see if something in the throttle body or ECU is amiss. If the black soot has some oilyness to it could mean oil getting is into the exhaust.
I just noticed....there is oil getting on my back bumper. (Thru the exhaust) How is there oil getting in my exhaust?? I changed my bad O2 sensor about 200 miles ago. It ran good, no smoke..pulled right for about 150 miles. now back to the same crap. (Black smoke out of exhaust with oil in it, and it doesn't pull) Anyone????
Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

nvm its not oil, its just running really rich.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VA2001SS
I did the above and then changed the oil/filter afterwards. I used Sea Foam, read that it is the same thing as the "GM Top End Cleaner" for a few bucks less.
Doubt they're the same thing...since the GM cleaner isn't sold at any dealer in california anymore because of all the environment hippies....but I can go to any Napa and get a case of seafoam.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

im thinking about doing the Seafoam on my ta, but i dont want it to mess up my spark plugs?? Is there anyway to do it without affecting them? Like putting in a lesser amount?

Quick Reply: GM Top End Cleaner?