General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

noise after 17x9s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default noise after 17x9s

The second that i put my GM ZR1 wheels on (17x9) it started making all kinds of noise. At first it just sounded like tire noise, but after about a hundred miles on the road it sounded like a problem. I sold the stock wheels. These wheels balanced out fine. At about 35 i get a whoop whoop whoop sound from i think the front, but all the time, even at a half mile an hour i get a sound from the rear end that sounds like bearings. Is this just a strange cooincidince? could the noise from the front just be rear end noise being transfered up the DS? Its still smooth. Did i maybe put the wheels on too tight (100lb/ft)? I have new rotors and pads to put on soon.

Any help would be great!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "whoop whoop whoop" sound I had recently turned out to be pinion bearings in the diff, but there was no mistaking where that noise was coming from. And uh, it was really loud too. It echoed off of other cars.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

did it make that sound only at a certain speed? Did it sound like it was comming from the front...kinda?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Since the only thing you changed was wheels/tires I'd guess something isn't right with them. I did the exact same swap that you did (Z28 16X8s to ZR1 17X9s) and that did not increase road noise nor cause any other noise at all.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

You may have a defective tire. A bad tire will make that type of noise. Are the tires directional? They may be mounted wrong.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think its the tires because the noise seems to have gotten worse, plus its way too loud for tire noise. It starts out like a roar even at a half mph. The noise is coming from the rear for sure. It sounds like the carrier bearings or the pinion bearings. Could the noise from the front be coming from the rear up the driveshaft? It does it at about 35mph. I was planning on getting a moser 9" to fix the rear end problems. Hopefully it will fix it. If not then i know what the problem isnt. The tires are Falkens. Im not happy with them at all b/c they dont hook up at ALL.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I dont think its the tires because the noise seems to have gotten worse, plus its way too loud for tire noise. It starts out like a roar even at a half mph. The noise is coming from the rear for sure. It sounds like the carrier bearings or the pinion bearings. Could the noise from the front be coming from the rear up the driveshaft? It does it at about 35mph. I was planning on getting a moser 9" to fix the rear end problems. Hopefully it will fix it. If not then i know what the problem isnt. The tires are Falkens. Im not happy with them at all b/c they dont hook up at ALL.
Sometimes sounds just travel weird. In answer to your earlier question, it did it at all speeds, but it got louder the faster I went until I got up to highway speed in which case road noise and exhaust kind of overpowered it. But it was very loud. At first I thought it was the trans, sound seemed to be coming from right under the shifter. But when it still happened in reverse, I figured it was probably the rear. 450 dollars later, the noise is gone. What sucks is now that the rear is setup properly, pinion depth and new bearings and such, the gear noise from my 3.73's is a lot more apparent. Doesn't really bother me much since there's technically nothing wrong. Some people get whine from aftermarket gears, some don't.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

See, if it was gear noise from a swap then i could handle that easily. Thats the sound of an improvement. Mine still makes noise in reverse too. Its getting on my nerves. I dont really want to drop all the $ for a 9" right now. I kinda want to just throw a set of 4.10s in the 10 bolt that i have now. I've got a MAC cover that i could use, but i just dont know how long that thing would last. If i did polish the terd (10 bolt) then i would NOT take it to the track. I would most likely drive it until it was paid off and out of college. Then get my 9". It would be a cheaper way to figure out if it was the rear end or not.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

See, if it was gear noise from a swap then i could handle that easily. Thats the sound of an improvement. Mine still makes noise in reverse too. Its getting on my nerves. I dont really want to drop all the $ for a 9" right now. I kinda want to just throw a set of 4.10s in the 10 bolt that i have now. I've got a MAC cover that i could use, but i just dont know how long that thing would last. If i did polish the terd (10 bolt) then i would NOT take it to the track. I would most likely drive it until it was paid off and out of college. Then get my 9". It would be a cheaper way to figure out if it was the rear end or not.
So just get it rebuilt. As long as you're not doing high rpm launches you should be fine.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having the same problem...so what was the solution? Did you have to change the carrier bearings or pinion bearings? Or wheel hub bearings? I'm probably gonna take my car to a reputable shop next week.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

I think thats what i am going to do. So the 10 bolts only fail from High RPM drops? B/c i never drop mine. I am much more fond of the "2500 rpms then nail it to felony speeds" kinda driving. Interstate ramps are my fav! But around town i am a 1st-3rd-5th driver. Since i put these wheels on i dont even do burn outs any more.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think thats what i am going to do. So the 10 bolts only fail from High RPM drops? B/c i never drop mine. I am much more fond of the "2500 rpms then nail it to felony speeds" kinda driving. Interstate ramps are my fav! But around town i am a 1st-3rd-5th driver. Since i put these wheels on i dont even do burn outs any more.
I think high rpm drops are the quickest way to kill them. The larger tires don't help us much either though. When the stock size tires would usually break loose, ours don't so that force gets transferred to something else.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well, to be honest i cant get my 275s to hook up at all. first gear is useless anytime in full throttle, and when i hit 2nd i have to let off or it wont stop spinning. Falken tires must suck! My old goodyear 16s werent even z rated and they hook up better than these.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, to be honest i cant get my 275s to hook up at all. first gear is useless anytime in full throttle, and when i hit 2nd i have to let off or it wont stop spinning. Falken tires must suck! My old goodyear 16s werent even z rated and they hook up better than these.
My Goodyear F1's out back don't stick unless they're nice and warm. Last time it got cold here, they just started spinning going up a hill...that was dry.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Well maybe ill just rebuild my stock rear with a good set of 4.10s and bearings. Richmonds? Who makes a good quiet gear?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well maybe ill just rebuild my stock rear with a good set of 4.10s and bearings. Richmonds? Who makes a good quiet gear?
I heard the Motive gears are supposed to be quiet. Yukons were installed for me because they were supposed to be quiet, and I still think they're noisey. Richmonds were supposed to be louder though.