General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car tried starting itself

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car tried starting itself

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please move it to the right one.

This is gonna sound wierd, so I'll try to explain it as best as possible.

This morning at about 6:00 I thought I heard my alarm (panic button) going off. At first I thought someone may be trying to steal my car, but then I remembered that b/c of where I parked on the driveway it was blocked in by 3 cars. Then I didn't hear it anymore and fell back asleep. A few minutes later my dad woke me up and said that my car was trying to start. I had both sets of keys on my nightstand.

So I go downstairs and sure enough, the panic alarm is going off and my starter keep trying to crank the motor. It's try for about 5 seconds and then stop for a few more seconds. Then try again. And each time the panic alarm would go off. I got in the car and there were no keys (I still had both) and the ignition was off. So then I started it up and shut it down. Everything seemed to stop. but just to be safe I desconnected the battery and the trottle cable. And no I don't have a remote start.

Has anyone ever heard of this? And if so, what is causing it?

It was also raining a bit if that matters. And I just finished an M6 -> A4 swap last week, but I don't see how that would have had anything to do with it seeing as how it's been a week and this is the first time it's done it.

Can anyone help?

cliff notes - Car tried starting itself with no keys
Old 02-03-2006, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ever seen Christine?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Ever seen Christine?

ROFL!!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Restricted User

You should take it back to Tony and have him look at it, I'd imagine it was something with the swap.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Check the ignition wires, if the wires have melted they can make contact and the car will try to start itself, so yes I have seen this.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
You should take it back to Tony and have him look at it, I'd imagine it was something with the swap.

I'm thinking it might be a combo of a bad battery and the starter remote wire touching something.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129
Ever seen Christine?

You're not the first person to ask that.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

It's possessed.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man thats le scary. my immediate thought seeing the title was remote starter issue, we had a neon in town that had the clutch bypass fail and it rammed itself into the wall...

I would definately say some wires are where they aren't supposed to be, but saying that warrants your response to be along the lines of 'yea dude, no sh*t.'

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF? haha that is kinda cool/scary.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

If you know Brian and the scary **** that has gone on in his house this is even more scary
Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King James
If you know Brian and the scary **** that has gone on in his house this is even more scary

A few of the LS2 guys did suggest the ghosts.

But I replaced the battery with an Optima red top about 45 minutes ago and nothing has happened. Before with the dying battery if I hooked it back up, it'd kick on the starter in about 5 seconds. But I am still going to do the safe thing and chase down some wires.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry about it man..its normal for some of those to do that..i have a chevy truck that does the same thing..some remote start systems will try to restart everytime they loose power and then get it again..for instance in your case of a battery..im guessing that your battery would run all the way down from sitting or whatever, as soon as you hooked up the charger or jumper cables ..its turned over, and im betting that if it didnt start , it tried to start 2 more times before giving up..thats why your supposed to put the warning about the car having a remote start becuase about 1 out of 10 do it. I dont know why, prolly a bad diode or something somewhere but none the less, ive seen many of these that do the exact same thing..you dont have a problem, you just have a picky one that will try to start each and everytime you disconnect and reconnect the battery..a solution is to pull the ign fuse until your ready to start it..or make sure you have your key fob ready so as soon as you hear the fuel pump kick on like its going to start you can disarm it
matt