General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator bubbling.head gaskets and air?

Old 02-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator bubbling.head gaskets and air?

Is there any way to check to see if my head gaskets are sucking in air, which is then causing my radiator to bubble, overheat, and spill over. I just recently swapped heads and gaskets. Im stumped by this problem. I just got my heads put in and this little problem is stopping me from enjoy my new toy Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHVYMAN
Is there any way to check to see if my head gaskets are sucking in air, which is then causing my radiator to bubble, overheat, and spill over. I just recently swapped heads and gaskets. Im stumped by this problem. I just got my heads put in and this little problem is stopping me from enjoy my new toy Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks.
Have you checked your Thermostat?? could be stuck, also you may not have gotten all the air out of the system prior to start up. I would think if you had a bad gasket you would see some fluid leaking somewhere..oil/coolant.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Teching In

I just replaced the tstat and it still continues to overheat on me. Maybe its my radiator. The funny thing is that when the car is idling it wont overheat, but when i drive around for a minuet the gauge starts to go way up. Another thing i notice while the car is in idle, radiator cap off, and I pull on the thottle cable (rev), the radiator fluid builds up and wants to come out. Funny thing is that when the rpms go down so does the fluid. Im out of ideas. no clue.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Launching!

i don't think the fluid moving is an issue. My last car did that all the time. I would assume it's from the water pump now pushing the fluid faster and a higher pressure. You could power-flush the system, maybe something is blocking the rad. or a passage in the block.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Take the cap off and see if the coolant is flowing when the stat opens...also rebleed the system. The coolant could also be boiling over from lack of pressure...lowers the boiling point. Do a pressure test...you can rent'em at any autozone for free. As far as the headgaskets....you can do a hyrdo-carbon test to check for combustion gases in the coolant. Good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Teching In

I think I figured out what was causing my cooling problems. I had to much air left over from the head change causing my tstat not to open. This morining I completely flushed the coolent system again, dex cooled everything and it held up. Im hoping its not a fluke, Im still gonna replace the radiator because a better flowing one will be better. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Search this Thread