General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Removing Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help Removing Center Console

Hi my center console is cracked in my 99 T/A so I recently purchased a new one to replace it but I don't know how to remove it from my car. Any and all help would be greatly appreiciated Thanks In Advance.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres a bolt on each side of the center console under the dash up front. theres a few bolts inside the actual console, and one under the ash tray. That's all I found when I took mine out.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Teching In

What Matt Said plus remember to disconnect your electrical stuff before yanking out the console. A small flat screwdriver will unlatch the little plastic latches on the lighter and accessory ports nicely with just a small turn.

If you ever wanted to add a new shifter or short stick, now would be the time as 90% of the work is getting the console off.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I wasnt able to figure out on my own was how to get the shifter boot off on an A4.... If you have an a4, put the parking break on, put the car in 1st (all the way back)

then there is a little staple looking thing on the front of the boot (facing the stereo) just put a screwdriver under it and pry it out gently, then just pull the boot off.

After that and the 2 screws below the change holder inside the console and a little bit of wigglin the top half should come right off, and then you should be able to see how to get the bottom off
Old 02-08-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

If you have a Manual install university has a write up on replacing the shifter and they go over taking off the center console. The website is www.installuniversity.com

Quick Reply: Help Removing Center Console