General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Window Defogger Not Functional

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Defogger Not Functional

Last night heading home i was unable to see out my rear window because my rear defogger was not activating. I hit the button a bunch of times and the light would not turn on and the window stayed fogged the whole way home. Has anybody had this problem before? Thanks
-Joel
Old 02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power seat out too? They're on the same circuit. Sometimes people replace the metal fuse with a regular one. Just something to check...
Old 02-11-2006, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear defrost and power seat
Check this thread out. It may be your answer.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Like mentioned, check and see if your power seat still works when the defroster is not. If the seat is working, then I'd say start checking the wiring. I believe the wire runs under the driver's seat and back to the rear window (not sure of the complete path) but apparently under the driver's seat is a spot where the wiring can get pinched.

If the seat doesn't work, I'd say start by replacing the fuse/circuit breaker and see if that solves the problem. It's a silver colored fuse in the panel that's on the side of the dash.

If you've done any electrical work recently, check that wiring and the area that wiring runs through. My rear defrost has been out since a tranny temp gauge was install. I've tried replacing the fuse..didn't help. Haven't had the time yet to check up in the dash but I suspect a wire got pinched or is loose when the wiring for the gauge was put in.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Teching In

I did it on my car today and it worked fabalous. Thats almost a sure thing it will be that.

-Ivan
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm...I didn't check my seat since i have it set for me. Thats the first thing im going to check before i wash my car tomorrow. So if the seat and the rear de-froster don't work its because the fuse has probably blown, correct? Yet if the seat still works, then it must be the wire is getting pinched somewhere?
-Joel
Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a fuse. It's a 30A breaker, unless someone has already replaced it with a fuse and used too low of a current rated one. The faulty breaker usually overloads after it has been in use-works at first, cuts off early and won't come back on for some time. In the mean time the sea is INOP as well.

If I understand you correctly, yours never come on in the first place? Check to see if both the connectors are connected on the window. OHM out the breaker too.