General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking noise when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise when turning...

I have noticed a ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear driver's side. I hear it only when I turn the wheel left, even a slight bit, but if I accelerate it goes away. When I drive straight I don't hear it. When I brake I don't hear it. It seems that the faster the car is going when I turn the wheel left, the faster the ticking is. It's not very loud and I can't feel any difference in driving, but I know it's not normal because it doesn't do it when I turn right.

Any ideas? I'm thinking suspension, axle...I checked the LCA bolts and the car makes no noise when I mash down on the rear when it's parked.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably just a bolt a little loose somewhere or something simple like that. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's crazy annoying, or hurting the driveability of your car. It's not like something is just going to fall apart and cause you too wreck or anything. Wouldn't hurt to jack the car up, look under it, and have a friend crank the wheel to see if you can hear exactly where the ticking is coming from. But since you said it's louder based on speed, it might be hard to tell.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Ive been stumped with this problem ever since Iv'e had my car. It only ticks when I turn left, just like yours, except know I'm having rearend problems. When I accelerate from 2 into third there is a metal to metal noise. The car feels like it has the same power, so i'm clueless.

If you look at the bottom of the 1st page on ls1tech, look for 273sunsetZ. Click it and go to drivetrain problems under the, all started threads link. I've started threads with the same question your asking. It might be of some help.

Last edited by 273sunsetZ; 02-13-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I had the same problem, and it was the lca bolt's. you can use a jack to help get the msnug then tighten down like a champ. it solved my problems. Or you could try changing out the bushing.