General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Intermittent Grinding M6

Old 02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Grinding M6

Especially on very low RPM shifts I'll get a grinding going from either 2nd to 3rd.....or from 2nd to 4th. Doesn't happen all the time....maybe once a week or so. Happens when the car and tranny are both plenty warmed up. Is this the sign of a synchro starting to go....or perhaps a clutch problem?? Any ideas much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

If you've done some very aggressive shifting then there is a chance the shift forks could've been bent. Mine started to grind like that and I was like
'WTH?" Now the trans won't hold third gear. Anyway, make sure the simple things are checked out like transmission fluid level, shift linkage, hydraulic level for the clutch and the like to help narrow down what the problem might be.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I've done some agressive shifting over the life of the car. Now yesterday while I was getting of the freeway I downshifted from 6th to 4th and when I let the clutch out in 4th it popped out of gear....first time that has ever happened. Only did it that one time though, I was not able to get it to do it again......guess I better set aside some money for trans work

Search this Thread