General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is this a safe way to change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because this can't be said enough - DO NOT USE THE FACTORY JACK TO SUPPORT THE CAR WHILE YOU ARE UNDER IT! I've had the factory jack (on my 95) collapse and simply drop the car. Fortunately I had gotten the tire/wheel back on just before it did. This jack in particular is unreliable, and jacks in general aren't meant to support the car while your're under it. That's what jack stands are for. That, or ramps.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a pair of rhino ramps from auto zone or similar place. My formula does not scrape at all when driving up on them. Going under the car supported by the tire jack only is a death trap.

kurt
Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a college budget, the 20 bucks for the rhino ramps should really go towards beer and pong *****.

Search around for an unused driveway or something like that on an unused street of the back of a shopping center. Pull the car halfway up or down the driveway enterance so that you can squeeze under the middle of the car to drain the oil and get to the filter. Atleast this way all 4 wheels are still on the ground. put your 5.5 quarts back in the car then move it to level ground before checking the oil level.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i use 2x10's for my car, they were free too. pulled them out of the dumpster at a construction site. stack about 3 of them up and drive onto them, should be high enough to squeeze under. As a student, a realize that a vast majority of disposable income goes towards booze. but, didn't you take economics, tell a couple kids you will change their oil for $10 if they get oil and a filter. you should be able to make a few bucks there

Quick Reply: is this a safe way to change the oil?