General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

toyota mr2 engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toyota mr2 engine trouble

hey everyone! i am writing with an off the wall kind of question. my girlfriend's cousin has a 2003 toyota mr2 spyder. I am trying to find out some info about the motor. she was recently involved in an accident in witch a truck rearended her. after this the engine started to make a lot of noise. at first she told me that it was loud like the muffler had fallen off, but then proceded to tell me that the shop she had it taken to told her that they found metal shavings on the dipstick and that there was no oil in the engine. red flag right away! i ask her if she had checked the oil in it and she said no. it hadn't been changed in about a year. the vehicle had been shutting off on her on the way to work and then once there it would not start. but anyway, i am trying to find out if anyone knows where i could find some info on this vehicle regarding the engine and all of its oiling system. i am figuring that she probably spun the bearings, but am not sure on how hard it would be to replace them. i haven't gotten to look at the car yet as it is at the shop still. if anybody can give me and direction on this one i'd really appreciate it!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Take it to a dealrship and trade it in on a LS1
Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take it to a dealrship and trade it in on a LS1
Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try looking around these forums:
http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/portal.php
http://www.mr2oc.com/
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ACW
You might try looking around these forums:
http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/portal.php
http://www.mr2oc.com/
I second that, your will get a great deal of information on spyderchat or mr2oc. I have had a Mr2 for about 5 years now and there are some real knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

hey man i am a toyota certified tech what do you want to know? i have replaced the rod bearings on these before not hard but start knockin agian in less than 3k miles... and if you want to replace the mains you have to remove the motor..... got to love it.... haha but i can walk you through that too.. but you need a lift comes out through the bottom and if its out you should put a clutch in it if it needs it and hell while your at it you should just put a short block in it and be done with it also when you get it out take the cam caps off and check for scaring on the cam caps.. aluminum head and caps steel cam if you can run your finger nail over any "bearing" surface and you nail catches on it at all your in bad shape....as far as having anything regound i wouldnt do it i dont know if the aftermarket has like 10/10 bearings like chevys and your head/cam will have to be replaced no boring or shiming able...let me know what you will need
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

No oil in over a year....ok maybe you can get by with that, but metal shavings on the dipstick....ummm thats a problem...oil circulates so those shavings probably are too...shutting on and off yikes......Good News and Bad News...Bad News You should probably replace the whole engine...(might be cheaper i dont really kno) Good News Shes got a brand new engine!