General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car hesitating horribly

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car hesitating horribly

so heres the deal. my car feels like its bogging down really bad and you have to mash the pedal to the floor to get it to go. i could be driving along at around 2500 rpm and go to speed up and it will almost feel like the car is slowing down until i actually step on the gas and then it will throw me back in my seat. it does this at almost any rpm besides wot. i even have troubles taking off from a stop light. it doesnt seem like it does it when its in its closed loop just after a while of driving or when it goes to open loop it will do it and never stop. i unplugged my maf and made it home fine with no problems but then i drove it back into town with the maf unplugged and did it again. so i cleaned my maf and replaced the tps, does anyone have any ideas? i need help bad because its my daily driver and its bugging the crap out of me. thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

ttt anyone? please help
Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Teching In

What codes are you getting?
I have the same issues and am getting:
P0121- Throttle Position Sensor A Circuit, Range Performance (going to replace tps today)
P0134- O2S Circuit, Bank 1-Sensor, No activity detected (missing rear ones ?)
P0155- O2S Heater Circuit, Bank2- Sensor 1, Malfunction (dunno)
P0300- Random-Multiple Cyl. Misfire Detected (cam)
P1637- Generator-L-Terminal Ckt. (dunno)

My car idles just fine, just get the same problem as you during acceleration(I dont have the ***** to mash down on the gas)
Old 03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it drives fine with the MAF unplugged, see if you can borrow a buddy's MAF to see if the unit itself is the culprit. Cleaning it would be my suggestion, but you already did that.

It is definitely giving classic signs of a MAF problem...sensitive little bastard.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Teching In

swapped out the TPS which was easy as hell, unfortunately it didnt work.
Monitoring the data, at idle, the mV is as follows:

Bank1- Sensor 2- 700-850mV
Bank2- Sensor 1- 700-850mV

When I hit the gas, they go down to:
Bank1- Sensor 2- 0mV
Bank2- Sensor 1- 0-50mV

I;m guessing its time to replace o2's?

/also the TPS code didnt go away
Old 03-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Killrus: im not throwing any codes at all so i couldnt tell you

MeentSS02: i unplugged the maf and it stopped on the way home but i just left it unplugged and it continued to do it again so do you have any other ideas?

thanks for the help guys keep it comin
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An O2 sensor flatlining like that will make it run like **** for sure...if that's what it was reading, it was dumping in fuel like a ****. Replace them ASAP, and plug your MAF back in in the process.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Teching In

definately get the codes read by autozone or wherever..
I was told that the mV dumping to zero would mean its running lean as hell and maybe could be a fuel problem?!?! Bleh..once I get my problem fixed, I'll update this thread in hopes that it will help you.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

most likely it is the o2's, get the codes checked or if you are not throwing any codes yet get someone around you with autotap or ls1 edit and look at the o2's to see which one you need to replace, could save you a bit of money, rather than going out and getting all new ones.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Launching!

GoodLookin....search under my name for my threads....youll find ive been talking about this **** for so long now and still haven't found an answer. It's becoming a real pain in the *** and the only suggestion that i can come up with is to go to a ruputable camaro shop and have them dig around....ive changed o2's, plugs, wires, cheked coils,tps.....nothing so im figuring since so many people are having the same prob it has to be in the ecm. Good luck and let me/us know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Teching In

replacing o2's fixed my stuttering problem..
Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car (98 Trans Am) is kinda doing the same, slow take off until it gets up to 3000rpms then it starts to go..or if i floor it it will go...the check engine light has been on due to a bad gas cap, so i dont know if it is throwing any new codes...i'll go to autozone tomorrow..but from what i been reading..it could be a number of things lol...so it is a possibility that it could be one of the o2 sensors or maf???
thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you noticed it only doing it when it rains and for a couple of days after. You just have water in your O2 wire plug if so. Take the connections apart and spray some electrical cleaner inside and let dry. This should fix it until it rains again. Preventing it is gonna be a little harder as wrapping with tape has yet to help me.