General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 Camaro SS Foglight Bulbs & High-mount Taillight

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS Foglight Bulbs & High-mount Taillight

Hey guys. I've been trying to fix a bunch of the lights on my SS, including the rear brake lights, one of the fog lights, and the high-mount brake light. I've run into a couple of weird things... first of all, I went into my favorite auto parts store (Winchester Auto, for those in the south SF bay) to get the replacement bulbs, and they didn't stock the 894 bulbs that were listed for the foglights. Is this listing wrong/weird or anything? Is there a more common replacement people use for the fogs? Winchester Auto is a pretty domestic-heavy store, so I was really surprised they wouldn't stock something like OEM foglight bulbs for an F-body.

Second problem I ran into... how do I replace the high-mount brake light? I've got a LED bar set into the underside of the factory SS spoiler... I unscrewed the bar, but I can't see any way to get it off the car: it's connected by a solid cable that goes inside the spoiler, and I can't see any obvious way to disconnect it or open it up. It's not critical, since about half the LEDs are still working fine, but I'd like to replace it. Help! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

I found the foglight bulbs at Wal-Mart. I think there are a couple other sizes that will fit, also, like, maybe 880 or some such. I went with the 894 because the wattage was higher, 37 w, but they aren't super bright.

Can't help ya with the LED's, haven't touched that, yet. Still new to my Z28, only had it about a month. Have replaced the speakers, and trying to figure out what exhaust to get-
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

For foglights i would go to walmart as ***** suggested, as for the LED's i would imagine they just pull out of the housing and can be replaced seperatly but i am not positive of that as i havent done it before, if you have the cover off just try to pull one out, but if you do make sure to make note of which way it came out, they do have to be put in a certain way, one side of the LED should have a longer lead and just be sure to put the replacement back in the same way, but like i said im not positive about that, maybe someone can correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Do you know what happened to burn out the LEDs? Those things are pretty resilient and seem to last quite a while, so wonder if there is something up w/ that. I haven't looked at mine to see whats all involved in the setup... But most LED setups you have to get a new bulb, pull the old one out and then sauder in a new piece... Thats just my experience... But like I said I have no clue about these cars and the brake LEDs...
Old 04-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fenster
Do you know what happened to burn out the LEDs? Those things are pretty resilient and seem to last quite a while, so wonder if there is something up w/ that.
Yea... the bar itself was cracking around two of the three screws when I bought the car. I noticed it then, but didn't think it was a big enough deal to worry about. So my guess is that water's been getting in there or something to that effect. I was thinking that I'd have to open it up and replace the individual LEDs or something like that, but I can't seem to find a way to open the damned thing up... Maybe I'm just not going about it the right way, or not trying hard enough... but I don't want to break it or anything, especially since I can't figure out how to take it off to be replaced.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Teching In

I need some fog lights for a 2000 ss Camaro, what bulb brand do you guys recomend?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Launching!

my ss third brake light is hermetically sealed as I am sure yours is also. it is all one molded piece. The entire unit itself is the only way I know of to replace burnt out leds in the light. Unfortunately the ss thirs brake light runs anywhere from 80 to 240 dollars depending where u get them at. As for removal from the spoiler itself, you have the screws to remove from the housing and then just cut and resplice the wires when installing the new unit. The is a plug under the hatch panel its just too much of a pain in the a$$ to fish back through the spoiler when installing the new third brake light and most aftermarket lights do not have the plug so they will be spliced any ways. As for the fog light bulb I recommend buying two of the same bulbs for them. I replaced one bulb once before and it was brighter than the other until I replaced the other one. Good luck and hope this little bit helps. A good place to start to try to find cheap aftermarket or used oem third brake lights is Ebay it helped me out.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EugThinks
Hey guys. I've been trying to fix a bunch of the lights on my SS, including the rear brake lights, one of the fog lights, and the high-mount brake light. I've run into a couple of weird things... first of all, I went into my favorite auto parts store (Winchester Auto, for those in the south SF bay) to get the replacement bulbs, and they didn't stock the 894 bulbs that were listed for the foglights. Is this listing wrong/weird or anything? Is there a more common replacement people use for the fogs? Winchester Auto is a pretty domestic-heavy store, so I was really surprised they wouldn't stock something like OEM foglight bulbs for an F-body.

Second problem I ran into... how do I replace the high-mount brake light? I've got a LED bar set into the underside of the factory SS spoiler... I unscrewed the bar, but I can't see any way to get it off the car: it's connected by a solid cable that goes inside the spoiler, and I can't see any obvious way to disconnect it or open it up. It's not critical, since about half the LEDs are still working fine, but I'd like to replace it. Help! Thanks in advance.

…18 years later…

I picked up a SS third break light at screamingchicken dot com for $30 (including $9 shipping). They have SS and non-SS and various levels of tinting. Amazon has them for $47.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS Foglight Bulbs & High-mount Taillight