Violet, Green, Black, Brown RES7.5K , XY , 7500
White, Green, Orange, Brown RES10K , KB , 9530
Brown, Brown, Gray, Red RES12K , UW , 11800
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=MJK]
Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

Wether I like that or not is not the thing man..I just don't think you have to tell someone's set up "looks like ****"...

"Maybe if you want a cleaner set up...blah blah blah"

"How come you didn't use the proper resistor?"

"If I were doing it,I would have tried...blah blah blah.."

There are a bunch of different responses you can give someone without be insulting is all I'm trying to say.

If I met you on the street and didn't like your shirt,I would'nt straight out tell you "you look like **** wearing that gay a$$ shirt,buy one like mine".If I don't like it,thats my problem...IF you asked me what I think about the shirt,I would say its not my style or something ...

I dunno,I guess you have your way of responding and I have mine...

Not trying to dog on you man but,I just thought that was a pretty harsh comment out of left field to someone who was trying to help another member of the board.

-Laters
Dude, you and I must be related.

I said almost the exact same thing in an appearance thread about how many jerks we have been getting around here lately. You know the guys that make comments like "that's gay" or "that sucks ***". I don't mind construtive criticism or even "Not for me" or "not my cup of tea" but why all the hostility?

My guess is as the fbody ages we get more young kids who can afford them and thus we get more like a kindergarden here. Don't get me wrong the vast majority of the young guys here are great but anymore this place is getting to be less fun than it was 2+ years ago IMHO due to jerks messing it up. Just my opinion.

I found this out on internet...may make life easier to get the correct resistor
Use Color, P/N, VATS Code, GM Value Ohms

Orange, White, Red, Black RES390 - 392
Green, Red, Orange Black RES510 , CN , 523
Blue, Gray Brown, Black RES680 , FW , 681
Gray, Gray, Violet, Black RES910 , GP , 887
Brown, Brown, Orange, Brown RES1.1K , KA , 1130
Brown, Yellow, Violet, Brown RES1.5K , N5 , 1470
Brown, Gray, Violet, Brown RES1.8K , UN , 1870
Red, Orange, Violet, Brown RES2.4K , XB , 2370
Orange, Black, Brown, Brown RES3.0K , GA , 3010
Orange, Violet, Yellow, Brown RES3.6K , NP , 3740
Yellow, Violet, Green, Brown RES4.7K , FY , 4750
Blue, Black, Yellow, Brown RES6.2K , C5 , 6040
Violet, Green, Black, Brown RES7.5K , XY , 7500
White, Green, Orange, Brown RES10K , KB , 9530
Brown, Brown, Gray, Red RES12K , UW , 11800
Thanks for the information!! This thread should be stickied! I know I'm making up a word doc with all this great information so that whne my VATS hits the fan I'll be ready.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MJK]
Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

Wether I like that or not is not the thing man..I just don't think you have to tell someone's set up "looks like ****"...

"Maybe if you want a cleaner set up...blah blah blah"

"How come you didn't use the proper resistor?"

"If I were doing it,I would have tried...blah blah blah.."

There are a bunch of different responses you can give someone without be insulting is all I'm trying to say.

If I met you on the street and didn't like your shirt,I would'nt straight out tell you "you look like **** wearing that gay a$$ shirt,buy one like mine".If I don't like it,thats my problem...IF you asked me what I think about the shirt,I would say its not my style or something ...

I dunno,I guess you have your way of responding and I have mine...

Not trying to dog on you man but,I just thought that was a pretty harsh comment out of left field to someone who was trying to help another member of the board.

-Laters
Well that's your opinion.....but i'd rather give and/or recieve a harsh statement then get/give bad install advice. There are proper resistors to use without putting 3+ in series. It's not like it's just some appearance mod bro...with that 3 resistor install there's a greater chance that later on the car can leave him stranded somewhere IMO. I pointed out that it was a bad install which was more constructive then you saying my statement wasn't constructive....
Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Mike02Z]
Originally Posted by MJK

Dude, you and I must be related.

I said almost the exact same thing in an appearance thread about how many jerks we have been getting around here lately. You know the guys that make comments like "that's gay" or "that sucks ***". I don't mind construtive criticism or even "Not for me" or "not my cup of tea" but why all the hostility?

My guess is as the fbody ages we get more young kids who can afford them and thus we get more like a kindergarden here. Don't get me wrong the vast majority of the young guys here are great but anymore this place is getting to be less fun than it was 2+ years ago IMHO due to jerks messing it up. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the information!! This thread should be stickied! I know I'm making up a word doc with all this great information so that whne my VATS hits the fan I'll be ready.
Like I said in the other post...at least I pointed it out unlike you guys that would rather complain about someones wording of a comment then help someone. We just see things differently.......

Also I guess it's "nicer" to call someone a jerk in third person like i'm not reading your comment...and you're obviously talking about me since i'm the one that said the install looked like ****. Not everyone has the same vocabulary...people from all over the country from all different generations are posting here. Some might say "that's not my cup of tea" and some are more blunt and say it looks like ****...dookie...deuce...crap

I do agree that there are immature people on all the forums and it's very annoying....but usually those are the trolls that aren't trying to help anyone and just post random comments.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=SeVeReDiStOrTiOn]
Originally Posted by MJK
There are proper resistors to use without putting 3+ in series...with that 3 resistor install there's a greater chance that later on the car can leave him stranded somewhere IMO.
See?You are getting better!

You can communicate in a more civil/constructive manner to someone you DON'T KNOW without insulting someone or thier work.Very good,your coming along...

Baby steps,baby steps...
Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also I guess it's "nicer" to call someone a jerk in third person like i'm not reading your comment...and you're obviously talking about me since i'm the one that said the install looked like ****. Not everyone has the same vocabulary...people from all over the country from all different generations are posting here. Some might say "that's not my cup of tea" and some are more blunt and say it looks like ****...dookie...deuce...crap
I said "jerks" in the plural meaning anyone who slams someone and is rude for no reason. Yes, to me you were being a "jerk" with the way you phrased your response. I'm sorry but I don't buy the "people from all over the country" line. Rude is rude whether you live in Portland Maine or Portland Oregon and everywhere in between. Rude also encompasses all ages IMHO.

Can you honestly say that if you posted a picture that you were excited about and someone here posted "that looks like crap" that you would not think that response to be rude and the person to be a jerk? Maybe you wouldn't say it in the thread but I've seen this happening more and more and I really don't want to see this forum become like so many other forums where all it is are people calling each other names.

Sorry if I struck a nerve buddy but your original post struck a nerve with me and I just had to speak my mind. No hard feelings.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Great thread guys It sure saved my butt.
I used my spare key for a resistor till I get to radio shack.
someone should sticky this thread as Im sure the older these cars get the more this problem will show up.
Thanks again guys.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

THANK YOU FOR THE PICS AND THE GOOD ADVICE. on how to fix this CRAP. its been getting worse and worse on my car it happens at LEAST 3 times a day to me i WILL be fixing it tomorrow. THANK YOU. Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I'm repeating myself here, but did you even try the starter relay or is it only one key but not the other? Such an easy thing to try instead of rewiring resistors...at least respond with something like screw ya bum I don't want to try that or it didn't work or something of appreciation for me trying to help. well anyway when mine did the same thing IT WAS A SIMPLE RELAY R-E-L-A-Y LOL
Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
at least respond with something like screw ya bum I don't want to try that or it didn't work or something of appreciation for me trying to help. well anyway when mine did the same thing IT WAS A SIMPLE RELAY R-E-L-A-Y LOL
Heh...I know what you're saying man.

I see soooooooooooooooooooo many posts where nobody ever updates as to what happened,what they did,if it worked,if it didn't,did they sell the car???...etc...etc...

I would follow the advice of checking the relay 1st.It just makes sense to do that before bypassing a possibly working VATS system.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

ok i did what you guys and checked the relays the the ignition one and the starter one.. i took them out and cleand the contacts and put them in a the problem seemed to disapear.. haven't had it mess up on me yet. i also tested the key and that was fine. puting in resistores and cutting wires was my LAST resort.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
ok i did what you guys and checked the relays the the ignition one and the starter one.. i took them out and cleand the contacts and put them in a the problem seemed to disapear.. haven't had it mess up on me yet. i also tested the key and that was fine. puting in resistores and cutting wires was my LAST resort.
hey nice, glad to hear it. I figured it had to happen to more people than just me. Yeah I didn't even replace mine either just wiggled it around a bit and put it in snug because it was being a 8i+c# to pull out ha. Never happens anymore. I was all bummed not ready to give a blank check to the dealer to start replacing parts like the steering column like I was hearing about!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=SeVeReDiStOrTiOn]
Originally Posted by MJK
Well that's your opinion.....but i'd rather give and/or recieve a harsh statement then get/give bad install advice. There are proper resistors to use without putting 3+ in series. It's not like it's just some appearance mod bro...with that 3 resistor install there's a greater chance that later on the car can leave him stranded somewhere IMO. I pointed out that it was a bad install which was more constructive then you saying my statement wasn't constructive....
Well, whats the difference between 3 resistors and one of they are properly soldered? I think if you can solder at all, tuck the resistors in a way that they arent gonna vibrate or move alot, you shouldnt have a problem. I've personally done this method numerous times at my work w/o comebacks. No it doesnt look as good but, its functional and you dont even have to look at it except when something else goes bad and you got to pull the panel again.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
hey nice, glad to hear it. I figured it had to happen to more people than just me. Yeah I didn't even replace mine either just wiggled it around a bit and put it in snug because it was being a 8i+c# to pull out ha. Never happens anymore. I was all bummed not ready to give a blank check to the dealer to start replacing parts like the steering column like I was hearing about!

THANK YOU!! really man thanks it saved me a lot of BS. and everybody should check that first. i still haven't had a problem with it yet.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

its vats, happened to me too, and i luckily found the above instructions, has worked like a charm ever since!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

From reading this, I'm gathering that this is a temporary fix that is also prone to going out if the resistors also go out. What would have to be replaced for this to be a permanent fix, lock cylinder? VATS module? I'm in the same situation but I still haven't checked my starter. I will be doing so this evening.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

i had the same issue but i knew about mine...i upgraded everything in my car (bcm, pcm, harnesses, ect...) i just went to radio shack and bought the 500 pack of resitors and made each vats pellet, (what a pita making all 15) but it worked..
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slowassta
i had the same issue but i knew about mine...i upgraded everything in my car (bcm, pcm, harnesses, ect...) i just went to radio shack and bought the 500 pack of resitors and made each vats pellet, (what a pita making all 15) but it worked..
man... my 2000 k2500 chevy truck did this crap to me yesterday....now i have to find out how to bypass mine!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

just great! i cant even get a reading to find out what my resistance values are! now what?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for still not having any problems out my ugly setup . I guess you can say it is hater proof .

Quick Reply: VATS taking a crap????