General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Problems

Hey guys

After three years, I'm tired of my cruise control not working.

The car is a 97 T/A with everything, I mean everything, from an 02 T/A swapped into the chassis. Wireing, interior, front clip, everything but the heater and a/c cores.

The cruise control has never worked. I had it into the local GM shop last week, he plugged it into the tech 2 and couldn't find anything. He check the grounds and whatever else he could. He said the switch on the column did what it should, and when he commanded the module to pull the cable, it did.

Today I checked under the dash to make sure the clutch and brake switches were working fine. I believe they are, they power output on both switches changes when you activate them.

The tech suggested that I try changing the module. He thought it would either be that or the PCM.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Does anyone know what wires should have power at the brake switch when it is depressed or pressed? The reason I ask, is the front two wires alternated power, but the rear two did nothing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Regular

Well, when you find out, please let me know. Mine only works when it wants to, and thats not very often. I thought that it might be my control, but everything else works on it. I just don't know. Thanks for posting this. I hope someone can help us out. Later!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did a M6 swap of my A4 and had issues with the wiring for a few things not working. Heres the write up I did to fix the prob. Maybe it will help/point you guys in the write direction or what to check. I have a 02 WS6.
Write-up
Old 05-15-2006, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Thank you very much Farmer2

I wonder if your way would work to get it going, I'd sure like to get it to work the right way first though. All my wiring is correct for the car.

Jaxon
Old 05-15-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ONE BAD BIRD
Thank you very much Farmer2

I wonder if your way would work to get it going, I'd sure like to get it to work the right way first though. All my wiring is correct for the car.

Jaxon
The way I wired it is per a M6, I just had to work around the harness due to I still am useing the A4 harness.

Your welcome bud
Old 06-02-2006, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if this could be linked to my A/C being removed?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, you might check a ground that could have came loose. This happened to me and was lucky enough to find it. On the driver's side, follow the block ground to where it's grounded on the frame. It's pretty easy to see, just right below where your fuse boxes are at. There's suppose to be a small black wire there also. Mine was just dangling there. I guess I forgot about it during a cam swap for some reason. Anyway, for the longest time I didn't have cc. Couldn't figure it out. Saw this wire dangling and bolted it down with the engine ground. CC was fixed.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Pretty sure all my grounds are good, I checked and cleaned them all a month ago. Damn it, this is really pissing me off. Changed the CC module, still doesnt' help.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

some of my steering column controls only work on a certain tilt of the wheel(ie, brights, turns), wierd huh?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 93 Formula's worked intermittently just because of a bad contact in the stalk. Obviously that's not your problem but the fellas who's works sometimes might just be that.

After awhile I just learned how to push on the switch just right and it worked fine after a couple tries for the 100k+ miles I drove the car.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i found a good position on the column at which they'll all work, but if i tilt it all the way down they dont...