General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: Which of these 3? POST WHY & OCI!!!
GC 0w30
65.15%
Amsoil 5w30
12.12%
Amsoil 5W40
22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Yes, ANOTHER oil poll!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White_Ls1
I don't really see how you could notice a difference from one oil to the other. I certantly haven't, I just know that Synthetic is the way to go, Mobile1, GC, Amsoil or even Wal-Mart tech. As long as it's sythetic. Maybe I have my music up to loud to hear the engine, but haven't heard any strange noises with Mobile1 10-30, that is all I use in my Z28 and my Avalanche.
Go ahead and try that Wal-mart crap in your car and tell me how it goes.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FL01SS
Would you rather have some dino or Wal-mart Synthetic?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by White_Ls1
Would you rather have some dino or Wal-mart Synthetic?
Neither thank you! I doubt the Wally World stuff is 100% synthetic anyways. Either way, I'm not trying it!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very few oils sold as "synthetic" are actually 100% synthetic. I know the GC stuff is and for me, I tired it and it stopped my oil consumption issue, stopped my sewing machine noise and for some reason stopped oil from getting into my catch can .

I'm sold and will not switch until I run out or can't get it anymore which will be 5+ years at least.

I've mentioned it before but I urge anyone who thinks the oil they use is the best for their car or who are considering switching oils to have it tested at your next oil change. It costs 20 bucks and then you will know for sure. The company I use is called Blackstone. Do a google and you'll find it. The sample kit is even free. They are not a sponsor so I cannot give you guys a link. Just wait until your next change and send them a sample of your old oil. Then you will be sure how good your oil is and whether you should change it.

The LS1 likes a 30 weight at temperature. GM suggest 5W-30. A lot of oils being used especially the most famous synthetic 5W-30 is closer to a 20 weight oil at temperature (tests have shown this I believe Patman had this test done) and a lot of times this can assist in the oil consumption issues some folks have. It also can contribute to the "sewing machine" sound. Other things can cause these problems to and I don't want to sound like this oil will cure all your issues but it certainly helped in my car.

Now if it just fixed the cold start piston slap it would be perfect I doubt any oil will help with that though.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 05-19-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Have you tried the GC? These are all the benefits I'm looking for, & I've heard that both oils will get me these results. Has anyone run both of them before? The way I'm looking at it is the CG is cheaper, but you can run the Amsoil longer. That's why I can't decide.
Sorry, I haven't run the GC. I bought my car in December, and those were the results I noticed going from dino 5w-30 to amsoil euro 5w-40. But I think with either the amsoil or the GC you'd be a happy camper.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Amsoil is hands down the best. If you've seen the tests like I have you wouldn't use any other type.

I use Amsoil in the crankcase,tranny, and diff. Like I said, it's the only stuff I'll use now. I plan to have this for sale when my store opens up here after my honeymoon in a couple weeks.

I'd use the 5w40 Euro formula because a lot of the noise comes frrom oil that has thinned out slightly when it gets very hot. The 5w40 will be quieter than the 5w30.

I run 5w40 and my sewing machine noise (lifter noise) is almost gone compared to the way it used to be. (using Mobil, GC, Royal Purple)

I run an aggressive cam with steep ramp rates, so this level of sound is about as good as it gets.

I don't burn much oil, but then again, I deleted my pcv so that might have something to do with it. ~Joshua
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Wally world oil is getting some good reviews over at bitog. It is the consensus over there that it is made by top line suppliers, including Mobil. Wally world just buys it in bulk, sells it cheap. Passes on the cost savings of the bulk buying/no advertizing.

One comment had a guy saying he got his best UOA ever with the wally world stuff.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

i use gc 0w30 in my trans am and my gf's monte carlo SS supercharged. both ofus tried m1 and our engines got noisey and rough i also tried Royal pruple in between it was better than m1 also but i rally like and impressed with GC we swtiched and our engines got quieter and smoother running. i have went from 3qt per 3k miles with m1 5w30 to 1qt per 3k miles with GC im a beleiver and will be runnin it for a long long time.,

i have never used amsoil so i will not put it down it is probably as good or close from hat ive read so i will not say its nessesarily better but i choose GC, also GC shows great analysis's on wear
Old 05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Amsoil is certainly good stuff so is Redline but it's typically twice the price of GC too. If I had hard facts that in a head to head test is was better then the GC I'd spend the extra money for it.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by angel71rs
The Wally world oil is getting some good reviews over at bitog. It is the consensus over there that it is made by top line suppliers, including Mobil. Wally world just buys it in bulk, sells it cheap. Passes on the cost savings of the bulk buying/no advertizing.

One comment had a guy saying he got his best UOA ever with the wally world stuff.
Like I said, go ahead and run it in yours and tell me how it goes for ya.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm NOT trying to argue with you but is the M1 at Wal-Mart different?? I just figured all Mobil 1 came from the same manufacturer.

Also has anyone tried the Filter Mag?? I'm probably going to get one but wondered if someone has tried it??
Old 05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

what is GC?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
I'm NOT trying to argue with you but is the M1 at Wal-Mart different?? I just figured all Mobil 1 came from the same manufacturer.
Yes, the Mobil 1 is the same at Wal-Mart. That's where I buy it. I was talking about not trusting the Wal-Mart brand of oil. Eventhough there is a good chance it comes from a well known oil company, I'm not going to try it in my car. I use to work at Wally World back in the day, so I know A Lot of the stuff is just repackaged name brand, but I'm not going to risk my motor on it.

Originally Posted by Koncrete
what is GC?
GC is European Formula Castrol 0w-30 that is made in Germany (GC=German Castrol) and is 100% synthetic. The other Castrol products are made in the US and are not 100% pure synthetic. The GC is one of the best oils to run in the LS1.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

5w 40. Good stuff.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm currently running 10w40 Amsoil in my car.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _JB_
I'm currently running 10w40 Amsoil in my car.
+1 no more oil consumption, more oil pressure , and quieter. I haven't tried GC only because i've never seen it. I'd like to see a head to head comparison between GC and Amsoil
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by angel71rs

SHHHH... You are going to cause a local rush to wally world to buy out stocks! Of course walmart doesnt process thier own oil. I know some of the walmart brand used to be valvoline, but each type could be made by a different manufacture...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX_SS
amsoil would be my choice.. 100% full synthetic.
100% synthetic isnt always the best. had to deal w/ oil company at my work. he said that 100% synth is good and all but semi synth can be better so long u can find out if the company uses mineral oils as the organic oil part of the 50/50 mix. any Connaco or Kendal or 76 oil is gonna be bout ur best bang for ur buck (all the same company)
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
SHHHH... You are going to cause a local rush to wally world to buy out stocks!
Lol. There are actually guys over at bitog that hoard the stuff cause they think wally is going to stop selling it.