General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wierd sound at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is detonation (spark knock).

A lot of 01-02 cars have this problem, often associated with the car pulling a little bit too much oil through the intake manifold, thus diluting the a/f ratio. Perhaps that is why seafoam solves the problem temporarily because it cleans out some of the oil in the manifold. Not permanently, though.

I bet if you would try a catch can the problem would go away. >$30 in materials from Lowe's. That will route any stray bits of oil the PCV system will miss into a small can.

Or you could also try a dyno tune to take some timing out perhaps. And yes, detonation DOES cause a problem, seeing as spark knock pops pistons!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will bet money on it that you are floating your valves. I am floating my valves and am replacing them as soon as i get out of dept. the cure is to buy new springs your valve spring are more than likely worn out. cant really explain it too you but that is what my problem is i have changed spark plugs, oil, seafoam, taking to the dealership, and ever thing possibly but finally i took it too a little ls1 machine shop and he listened to it when took him for a ride and he said that he is 99.99999% positive that is what it is, i am going to buy LS6 valve springs only like 60 buck on the net and put them on my self. hope that helps
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt it is valve float.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:05 AM

good luck figuring it out
Old 05-27-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Well I will just try to take it easy for a little while. I am hopefully doing a cam swap this summer so valve springs will be replaced. Also, I will do the catch can in the PCV system because it can't hurt. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Wierd sound at WOT