General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaky, Creeking, Cranky car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Squeaky, Creeking, Cranky car!

Okay, i bought my car with 77k miles and it made no noises at all. Now the car has 92k and the body creeks and squeaks all the time. I have new springs all the way around, new struts up front and new shocks out back...still the squeaking remains! Even when i get the chassis lubed it still squeaks. Done anyone know what it might be, it seems to sound like its coming from the back of the car most of the time, but sometimes the noise comes from up front too. Oh and this info might help a bit, it sounds a hell of alot worse in the cold winter than any other time. Tell me if theres something i can change please!!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawk009
Okay, i bought my car with 77k miles and it made no noises at all. Now the car has 92k and the body creeks and squeaks all the time. I have new springs all the way around, new struts up front and new shocks out back...still the squeaking remains! Even when i get the chassis lubed it still squeaks. Done anyone know what it might be, it seems to sound like its coming from the back of the car most of the time, but sometimes the noise comes from up front too. Oh and this info might help a bit, it sounds a hell of alot worse in the cold winter than any other time. Tell me if theres something i can change please!!
You're lucky. My car has 25k on it and creaks and rattles and clunks like every other GM car I've ever owned. Just turn the radio up

Make sure the jack is not moving around. That accounted for a few of my noises.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I replaced my sway bar bushings and end links and it quieted down quite a bit of the squeaking that was bothering me. They're not expensive and they're easy to change, so it couldn't hurt. The ones I took off mine were in pretty bad shape and I had roughly 60,000 miles on mine at the time. By the way, mine was much worse in the winter time also. Good luck, when you fix those it'll be time to troubleshoot a new one!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
You're lucky. My car has 25k on it and creaks and rattles and clunks like every other GM car I've ever owned. Just turn the radio up

Make sure the jack is not moving around. That accounted for a few of my noises.
LOL my buddy has an SS and says the same thing, "just turn the radio up"...the jack is secure, but thanks for the help.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My2ndls1
I replaced my sway bar bushings and end links and it quieted down quite a bit of the squeaking that was bothering me. They're not expensive and they're easy to change, so it couldn't hurt. The ones I took off mine were in pretty bad shape and I had roughly 60,000 miles on mine at the time. By the way, mine was much worse in the winter time also. Good luck, when you fix those it'll be time to troubleshoot a new one!
I had the front sway bar bushings replaced, but still no change... are there anything better than polyurathane(sp) bushings??
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

my hatch made a lot of noise, i just used silicone grease on the weather strip and it went away.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigman
my hatch made a lot of noise, i just used silicone grease on the weather strip and it went away.
hummm...its worth a shot, thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the sway bar bushings, they probably need greasing.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

It could be coming from your rear trunk shock. On mine, it doesn't make any noise when its hot, but it squeeks all the time when it's cold during the winter.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ yep definately check the bushings
Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said, try using some silicone grease on the sway bar bushings. Another possibility is that the springs are not seated correctly with the rubber isolator in the rear (you can do a search for more info on this, including the garden hose mod if you wish to remove the isolator)
Also check your rear LCA bolts (in front of the rear tires). I had a set of subframe connectors installed, and over time the lca bolts got a little lose causing the car to creek and groan over any road irregularity. I just tightened them down as much as I could with a 12" ratchet and no more noise.
As a last resort...get some long tubes/off-road Y/a loudmouth/ and possibly a cam, and you won't be able to hear a thing
Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Teching In

thanks everyone!! still working on noises...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Launching!

^^ mine does the same thing but it has 105k on it. Still can figure it out, only happens when I turn the steering wheel or hit a bump. SUCKS
Old 06-24-2006, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Same crap has me going crazy....I'm lubing evry part of my car today top to bottom.....I don't like to listen to the radio much so i gotta fix these noises...sometimes i wonder if people are checking out my ride or wondering if it's going to fall apart
Old 06-24-2006, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I have same problem. It the squeaking comes from the rear end of the car. I took out spare tire/jack, lubed components under rear if the car. replaced the things that old the bumper on, and totaly secured my linsce plate frame.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 PM

put frame connectors on the car
Old 06-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thechef
put frame connectors on the car
Exactly, good suggestion.

The stiffer the chassis is, the less likely it is to flex, which creates the squeaks an rattles.

Add thins such as a strut tower bar, aftermarket trans crossmember, stiffer sway bars, ect. That should help.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Are these noises all coming from the outside of the car. I just bout my 00' WS6 and its got about 13,000 on it. I havent heard too much squeaking but i get creaking from the inside. All the plastic in the back is rubbig up against the inside of the car and that can be annoying. For the undercarriage noises tho, I'd suggest a car was. have the undercarriage washed a couple times. that SHOULD help get all the crap out. New England is popular for f*ing up cars and these things seem to work.

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Creeking, Cranky car!