General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Springs..Isolator

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Springs..Isolator

Ok..so Ive had this annoying rattel from the rea of my car for sometime now and since its fathers day..everyone left me alone to do what I wanted to do..find teh rattle and kill it dead.....

Everything seems tight and wheer it should be BUT...I think my rattle is comming from my G2 springs. They are the only thing that Ive found that are not tied down in the rear of the car.

Should there be an isolator on the bottom spring perch? Thats the only thing that I can find back there that might be ratteling
Old 06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think so, the stock springs don't have one. Beat (lightly of course) on everyting in sight with a rubber mallet you'll find it. Already checked spare tire area, heat shields, exhaust pipe clearances, etc.?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah..did a search..went thru teh check list ....PHB,LCA, sway bar end links..etc..

I dropped the arm and slid on a hose...Ive yet to go for a ride...Im hoping that that was what it was...
Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a rattle going over small bumps - mine was my PHB adjustment link on the driver's side even though the locknut was tight and after being on the car a couple years - found it with the hammer method, took it off the car and put the stock one on and no rattles since. Just my experience. Hope you find it, mine drove me crazy.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I had a rattle going over small bumps - mine was my PHB adjustment link on the driver's side even though the locknut was tight and after being on the car a couple years - found it with the hammer method, took it off the car and put the stock one on and no rattles since. Just my experience. Hope you find it, mine drove me crazy.
Yeah I hammered on everything and tryied to push or pull everything...
I dropped the arm and slid on a hose...Ive yet to go for a ride...Im hoping that that was what it was...
Went for a ride...I think I fixed

Last edited by BitViper; 06-20-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just a quick TTT to get more input..as a note Ive only done teh "Lower Hose Mod" on the drivers side..so Im still getting some ratteling but it does seem to be comming from teh passenders side..strange that the spring just sits metal to metal on the perch...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the spring will still move a little as the suspension loads and unloads, especially when using a shorter spring. And metal-to-metal contact will nearly always create a squeak. I have approximately 1' of heater hose on the first upper winding of each rear spring. I also sprayed lithium grease inside the hose prior to installing it on the spring to make it easier to slide over the winding. I don't think there were any rubber components in between the lower spring winding and the rear housing, but I could be wrong. My car didn't come with any.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the lower hose mod with the hose and syn lube and no squeaks....my springs only had isolators on the top rear ones.....works good.