General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Brake Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Brake Squeak

I just put new pads on the rear brakes, and now, whenever I let OFF the brakes, the rears make a squeak noise. No noises at all when I am applying the brakes. I did put a little brake grease behind the pads.... could I need to lube up the caliper pins or something? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are little sheet metal "bastard clips" that sit in the caliper channel and keep a spring load on the pads. Did your new pads have these in the box with them, and did you use them?

They need to be there, and with some pads you have to re-use the old ones. Sound familiar?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Ya, that was my first thought.... I forgot to put them back in! But I double checked and they are both in there on both sides... thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didya turn your rotors or get new ones? Usually can't just replace pads alone.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Left the rotors, they were smooth and looked to be in excellent condition. Didn't even really need to change the pads, just did anyway...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just did them, suck it up and have the rotors re-surfaced. This is a bad area to take a shortcut unless you want the brakes to wear much more quickly, and be more likely to have troubles down the road.

Pads and rotors need to seat into each other as new. If you toss new pads on used rotors, even if they do look nice (no warping, uneven wear, grooving) there are uneven wear areas on that rotor and the two surfaces won't wear into each other properly.

With how prone our cars are to warp rotors in the first place, there's no way I'd put new pads on w/o turning or replacing the rotors.

On the same note there are some pads that are just more prone to squeal then others. Even brand new, oem quality brakes might have a little squeal here and there. But they should not be doing it during all coasting, something is wrong.

Does it happen on both sides?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the rotors are smooth u should be ok, its when they start getting that grove crap...check ur calipers