General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lt1 Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006 | 09:15 PM
Teching In

Default Lt1 Help!!!!!

Need some help... today i was cruising around with my friend, all of a sudden my car bogs right down like it ran out of fuel... then loaded up and popped really really loud like someone shot a shotgun out the back seat of my car... then car kicked on and i drove 2 feet and completely shut down.... so my friends try pushing me to a gas station and we came to a red light so i attempted to try starting it for ***** a giggles and started right up... so i drove to the nearest gas station thinking my car was out of fuel... i put 10 bucks in and drove it to wendy's grabbed some food.... everything was working great... i go down the road about a 1/2 mile then she quit again... then sometimes it wouldnt start for anything then would start... and when it would it would either run for 5 minutes, 20 minutes 10 minutes.... thought it was the coil... changed that and no luck... now im really stumbled on what it could be just wondering i anyone had the same problem!!! also when the car starts it runs beautifully... then just stumbles and dies almost like it's cutting my fuel off... so im starting to guess it's a sensor or computer related because the fuel pump still turns on... unless it's a bad relay or connection to the fuel pump... HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the SES light on? Sounds like it could be a clogged fuel filter, fuel pump going bad..or the more likely of the optspark dying and it will need repalced. The SES should give you a directino to go in.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Scan for codes, 36 and 42 most frequently spell death for an opti.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

its the opti, I was at a stop light and mine backfired like a shotgun about 3 times.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383ysi
its the opti, I was at a stop light and mine backfired like a shotgun about 3 times.
i was at the track and mine did the same thing. talk about makn people duck.

your rotor prob broke off and or chipped and its not firing correctly.
Old 06-26-2006 | 11:31 AM
Teching In

lol yeah makin people duck is right my friend was behind me in his truck and i thought it was going to crash lol.... awkwardly i have no ses lights at all... so that makes me want to believe it's something mechanical... fuel pump turns on i just dont know if it's pushing enough pressure.... im getting a fuel pressure tester today so i'll keep you all posted... thanks for your help!!!!!!! greately apreciated!!!!!
Old 06-26-2006 | 01:29 PM
Teching In

new update.... checked my plug wires to the opti and i didnt see any corosion and no rubbing/arching with the plug wires... but i was reading that the optispark controls camshaft position, crankshaft position, how much fuel to mix in accordince with the fuel pump and injectors... basically timing... thats with the low voltage side... the high voltage is plug wires etc... so i was starting to believe that the low voltage of my opti was shitting out and now is completely gone cause now when i fire up my car sometimes it will start hard but when it turns over it runs like complete **** like the timing is way off... spits sputters stumbles but will stay running.... then i got a loud back fire with black smoke so i shut my car off and im really believeing the low voltage to my optispark is completely **** out... ive asked alot of people and you guys say opti so thats where my head is leading... or am i totally off?? it's hard trouble shooting a car without a computer cause it's basically shooting in the dark but hey anything could help to try to save me some $$ lol even though optispark costs an arm and 2 legs...
Old 06-26-2006 | 11:04 PM
Teching In

well heres some more info.... no check engine code.... fuel pressure is about 45 when tryin to turn car over... all the injectors have power and i pulled a plug to see if i was getting spark and i saw lots of fuel... mainly because of tryin to start it my car is fludded so i have the fuel and spark but my car now wont start... seems to have progressivly gotten worse... it's really really strange....HELP!!!
Old 06-27-2006 | 08:50 PM
Launching!

Check the ICM,its beside the coil.If you have a bud with an LT1 just switch them out.I dont think Autozone can test them.Usually they just quit working though I dont know of any that have done what yours is doing but its worth looking into.They are around $80 at any autoparts store.
Old 06-28-2006 | 10:46 AM
Teching In

well i brought it to a dealer and they tested it and said it was opti.... im gonna try changing it but if all else fails i'll defenatly try that.... thanks man!!!
Old 07-08-2006 | 11:10 AM
Teching In

well after a whole mess of trying parts and my dealer not being able to find out whats what... i swapped a computer out and it happened to be that... well i just had the dealer put a new one in and re-program it... now i dont have 5th or 6th gear but like i cant even shift into it almost like skipshift.... also when i try to downshift from 4th into 3rd or even 2nd it wont let me... wont even go into gear the only gears i can downshift into is 1st... makes me want to believe the techs at the dealership bent shift forks and beat my car but i can shift into all my gears at idle or car not even running... only under power is when this messes up.... can my computer affect this? cause i know my tranny is electronicaly controlled which would explain my speedo being way off....