General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Level problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Fuel Level problems ???

OK I tried searching bu didnt come up with anything so my question is I just bought a 99 Z28 and the fuel gauge will read correct sometimes but other times it will stay at empty and the "check gauges" light will come on. Just wondering if this is a common problem and how to fix it.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Only happened to me once and the problem went away by itself. I don't know what happened. It sounds a like a loose connection to your fuel level sensor.
My fuel gauge reads full until my tank is about half empty. Then it drops like a rock!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel level sensor is going to hell, or you have a wiring problem thats intermittent. More than likely its the sensor, which is in the tank attached to the fuel pump module...have fun!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Default whats the price

how much is it to replace the fuel lever sensor?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transam_089
how much is it to replace the fuel lever sensor?
Not sure dude. You gotta call a garage and ask. If you do it yourself, its only the cost of the sensor and whatever you break to get to it.

Last edited by jkichline; 08-04-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jkichline
Not sure dude. You gotta call a garage and ask. If you do it yourself, its only the cost of the sensor and whatever you break to get to it.
I agree... GM has been having so many issues with fuel pump senders.... I've had a few out and can see... they are just built cheap with plastic and the terminals on the resistor are so tiny they wear and get bent and then do not make good contact and the gauge shows empty.. somepeople have tried various fuel system cleaners and claim sometimes it helps but I really doubt it I've always had to replace the sender...
-=Rick
Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to have to replace the whole fuel sender.

I would say 300 for the unit from a parts store. You drop the tank and install yourself.

The fuel level sensor is mearly a variable resistor. It is a bar which slides up and down a length of conductive material embeded in the fuel sender. Side to side sloshing or changes in fuel level would wear this sensor.

I was really suprised to see that nothing prevents the sensor from coming apart when the fuel sloshes from side to side. The sensor could seperate and cause a false reading or the bumping would damage the contacting surfaces.

It's a true work of art.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

more like $600. same exact thing happened in my camaro. it was an every so often thing so i shrugged it off. then my gauge would either be past full or on empty and it stayed like that til i sold it. my buddys dad owns a shop so he lets me order parts wholesale. i called for an ac delco and for wholesale it was around $400 i think, and some off name brand was $350. retail was $635!! i was like F*&k that ill just fill up ever other day. you cant just buy the sensor alone, you have to buy a whole new fuel pump. no one would sold the sensor alone which is some BS. sorry about your luck though man, ive felt the pain.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right. 600 at the dealer and 300 at my local parts store. Parts store had a lifetime warranty too!