General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

high idle theory?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle theory?

My car hasn't ran for a few days but I've been working on it with the door open and battery connected. (My dumbass didn't think about it until afterwards) I used to have a Remote start in my 98 Z28 and removed that. At the same time I swapped my A4 pedals out for the M6 pedals and installed the Mastery Cylinder and reservoir for the car. I didn't run any of the wires for the clutch switches, or removed anything else during this installation. After I was finished I started the car and it barely turned over from the battery being dead, but once it started it idled around 2100+ RPM and stayed that way for a while. I turned the car off and back on, when I cruised around the block the car kept accelerating without touching the throttle. Nothing was wrong with the cables and never touched any vacuum lines. After a while though I turned the car off and restarted it idled fine. Could it be that my car just sensed the battery was dead so idled high to recharge it? I did a quick search and found another thread where the guy had a high idle problem and when he changed his battery the idle went to normal...maybe it was the same problem? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=high+idle

I'll have to go back out in a little bit and see if it still idles normal and take my multimeter with me to see how the battery is doing.