General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure gauge pinned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge pinned?

First off, any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Well I just changed out my rear knock sensor and broke the infamous oil pressure sending unit when taking out the intake. I needed the car up and running for the drive to Gatlinburg tomorrow morning so I tryed to fix it the quick and easy way and JB welded the thing back in place. I started the car and everything runs normal but the oil pressure gauge reads a constant 90psi and never flinches (maxed out). I've heard if the OP sending unit was broken then it would read 0 pressure and not really be a problem other than it wouldnt work. Now that I see mine is maxed out it got me worried. What could be the problem? I'm not worried about the gauge not working for the drive to Gatlinburg, but is everything else still in safe operating condition? I even checked to see if it threw a code, but it passed showing nothing wrong.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

im pretty sure if you break the oil pressure sending unit the little pins get broken also and its crap after that, you need a new one.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Yeah, its electrical, probally junk now!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

You need a new one. When I broke mine, it was pinned all the way to the right too. I had to drive around with it like that for 2 days until I could get a new one. Everything else will be fine.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem, but dont worry you should be ok. Just get a new sending unit.