General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Issues

Old 07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Issues

I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for my gf to leave work for about 10 minutes. As I was on the highway back home, the AC quit working ( blowing only hot air ). I tried turning it off, back on etc, but the compresser clutch would not kick on. I was told this usually means that the system is just low on pressure and needs to be filled for the compressor to turn on so I went and bought a refill kit from the local auto store. However, when I plug up the guage to the low side, the pressure guage is through the roof, literaly. Its past the 'red' mark on the guage which is well over 100#'s of pressure. Now, I'm extremely scared to start adding additional refridgerant when the guage looks max. Is it showing this because the compressed isnt kicking on?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The compressor also shuts down when you have too much pressure. Sounds like you may have a blockage in the system.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Teching In

It's probably clogged from the condenser that used to leak on the passengear floorboard and now does not. Would that cause a lot of pressure backup?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
The compressor also shuts down when you have too much pressure. Sounds like you may have a blockage in the system.
Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot a blockage in the system?

Search this Thread