General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New compressor going in today

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New compressor going in today

Hey All, need some quick advice. I installed a new compressor back a month ago and the compressor fried itself something fierce because I didn't change the dryer. Well, I got a new compressor and dryer and orifice tube. The old tube was caked with parts. K, so I also got some flush and plan to run compressed air with the flush through the system today sans the dryer and compressor. Before I install the compressor though, I want to check...

Do I remove the oil that comes with the compressor or leave it in. Pk, if I remove the oil from the compressor, do I fill the compressor up with PAG oil or install it dry. Ok, if I put some oil in the compressor, where do I put the rest. On the other install, I am sure I messed it up. I left the oil that came in the compressor in it and also added PAG oil too it. Then, when the compressor wouldn't hold anymore, I simply poured it down the low pressure tube. Filled the system with freon and it worked. But, now, having gone through this experience, I want to do it the right way.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twister
I left the oil that came in the compressor in it and also added PAG oil too it. Then, when the compressor wouldn't hold anymore, I simply poured it down the low pressure tube.
The compressor is only supposed to hold 2 to 3 oz of PAG oil. Sounds like you're putting way too much in it. Overfilling a compressor will ruin it fast. It'd be like filling a engine with oil till it came out the valve cover.