General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issue

Recently my low coolant light came on, and having checked the level in the overflow, I found the coolant was right where it's supposed to be. So I just pretty much ignore the light. Well today I was out cruising a bit and came across a new bodystyle BMW M3, so we decide to go from a roll on the interstate. Well we're basically even (his car had 4 people, my car only had me). It was a good race. We shut down at about 120-130 and I look down at my temp gauge. It was almost in the red. So only in that short time of WoT, my engine temp went up quickly. I went back down to cruising speed, turned on the AC, and the temp pretty much went back to normal, but still a bit high.

What would cause something like this? If I just cruise around I don't have any cooling issues. But one good run through the gears and it's hot as hell.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes the air deflector under the front bumper gets damaged, or removed, this can cause a high speed overheat. That is why that deflector is there, some people remove it because it drags when going up driveways.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

It seems like it's more RPM related than speed related. If I just really get on the car hard, and bring the rpm's over 5000 in a couple of gears, the temp really climbs. I don't think the air deflector has much to do with it. It's never done it before up until recently, and I haven't removed anything from the front of the car.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

try to flush your radiator
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

You ask, "What would cause something like this? If I just cruise around I don't have any cooling issues. But one good run through the gears and it's hot as hell."

It sounds like you may have an air pocket (a big bubble) in the cooling system. Check your owners manual on how to get the air bubble out of the cooling system.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Might be your thermostat not fully opening and preventing the cooled fluid to cool the engine.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

I got the same problem. I changed coolant and flushed radiator and changed the thermostat and still had the same problem. I changed the radiator cap and it seems to be good so far. But once it reaches high temp like 220 and it cools down it takes a long time for it to go back down to normal temp even if you are driving down the hwy. And going down the hwy the temp is a little below 210 and seems to get cooler then warmer. This is pissing me off anyone know what it is.