General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: Should I fix it or sell it?
fix it
49.21%
sell it
50.79%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Is my car worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, it's great! You guys rock . I'm working on fixing the exhaust leaking past the gasket for starters. Anyone know how to get those darn bolts torqued to spec? I can't hardly reach half of 'em, let alone with a torque wrench. I'm thinking I may need to get headers just to be able to appy any sort of torque to the bolts.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tune up do the foamy thingy and then filter thingy and they o2 thingy and vuala, how can u tell if you have a exhaust leak..... is it a really bad knocking noise of your pipes(I know its not my valvetrain)when i start up my car it sounds like the pipes are hitting something but they are not.....???????? sorry to butt in...
Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Banned

you could always sell it and buy an ls1?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Default Perhaps

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
you could always sell it and buy an ls1?
I think I might actually try to do this, but I think I'll have to fix it first, at least partially. Plus I'll need to come up with a bit more cash for an ls1, but I might could do it.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by davidadavila
tune up do the foamy thingy and then filter thingy and they o2 thingy and vuala, how can u tell if you have a exhaust leak..... is it a really bad knocking noise of your pipes(I know its not my valvetrain)when i start up my car it sounds like the pipes are hitting something but they are not.....???????? sorry to butt in...
So if there's a loud ticking from the exhaust after startup that sounds as if the pipes are tapping against something and goes away after it warms up then it's an exhaust leak for sure?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick
your o2 sensors are bad thats prob what causing the bad gas mileage
It could be your o2's are bad but from my experience the manifold leak will cause your o2's to give out wrong readings. My friend installed a manifold on his girlfriend's cobalt and the gas mileage and performance dropped significantly, we found a leak coming from the manifold and replaced the new gasket with the original one and it fixed the problem, gas mileage is back up and performance is better than before. Depending where it's leaking start with a new gasket and see if mileage improves, if not change out the o2's. You should be getting a check engine light from them. Her cobalt's check engine light was on because of the leak, the o2's were sending the code.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HeBen
Anyone know how to get those darn bolts torqued to spec? I can't hardly reach half of 'em, let alone with a torque wrench.
Use your calibrated elbow
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

no ****, just torque them bitches down by feeling it. I never use a torque wrench(cept head bolts!!), and just do things by feel. sometimes I bust the torque wrench out for ***** and giggles, and I'm normally not far off. torque a bolt, get the feel, the check it with the torque wrench.

FIX IT!!! a different car = different problems!

The bad MPG is likely due to leaky exhuast and a bad tune up. leaky manifolds will kill your milage, as the O2's see more O2, and report the condition as lean, and then DUMP fuel. cuz it can actually create a vacum, and PULL air in. Also a clogged fuel filter can cause it to run rich. and so can OLD O2's. chances are they are stock, and they last about 75,000 miles. My cadillac ones looked stock at 150k, and it had quite a bit more power when I replaced them. Also, clean the "tiny's" on your MAF with alcohol, that helped my car.

Short version: Tune it up, forget about the frame, and top the diff fluid off.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks!

Awesome! You guys rock!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HeBen another really good reason you should continue fixing your car I just thought of...

how many 4th gen firebirds will there really be 50 years in the future? It would be nice to have 1 more that lasted through time and not given up on. dont let a legend die, keep working at it
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

alright look at where your headers meet the engine, Is it white? if so you have sheered off bolds, when its cold you have ticking, but as it warms up the ticking goes away because the metal expands, having that fixed can be pricey (but yet under 1 grand). but i dont think there will be any other problems caused by this.

I had three sheered off bolts and drove it for a couple months before i had it fixed and there were no problems caused by it.

second the bad mileage. Are you getting about 150-160 miles to a tank? if so it could be a bad egr valve. about 90$ and it it easy to replace.

Hope some of it helps
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Launching!

I am in the same boat but knew what i was getting myself into..... needs alot of bodywork-frontnose spiderwebbed-various dents large and small-some ******* keyed it from the previous owner- exhaust leak at the header- and various miniscule things- I have been going back and forth in my head for almost a year on what I want to do.... good luck with your decision... This is my first car and I love it- but i just dont know what i want to do...... as far as oifish above me.... for around a grand you might as well spend a little more money and get a set of stock heads and have them ported instead of fixing stock ones.... (i see no point)
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

^^

yea that is ture, you could go that route. I think getting the heads fixed is less than 1 grand 500-800, i forget. I think it depends on how many bolts are sheered off, where they are at, etc.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Import Patrol

I think it all depends on your future goals with the car.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

90 bux for and ERG?!!!! whoa buddy, you need a new parts store.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

IIRC, mine was 40 bux for an acdelco. 6sp EGR. Better yet, buy block plates and never worry about it again. I second getting the heads ported for 1000, vs getting the bolt fixed. just send them in as cores, and it's the porters problem for the next job.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

if you can sell it and can afford any newer cleaner one. I would say sell it
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Too much of a hassle. You can get a really nice condition Z28 for about 8 grand today. I got mine a little over a year ago for 7600 with 76000 miles and almost no problems. Only thing that had to be replaced was the tranny mount and front rotors.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
keep it bro, no matter what an f body is an f body!
No it is not!! I have owned 8 f-bodies and all are to equal! Sell your car and start over. You will spend big bucks fixing a bent frame. It is not worth your time. Put some new o2's in and sell her fast!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id have to agree a bent frame is a bit much, you can always start over with another fbody