General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car not downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car not downshifting

hey guys, well i just got done fixing one problem, by changing the fuel filter (the origina one was still on the car with 90k miles on it) and it realy seemed to make a difference.

BUT... i've been having this other problem, and its still tehre

what happens is usually after i first start driving the car, before it really warms up for like 20 minutes or so, if i floor my car, nothign happens, it jsut keeps going along at the same rpm and speed. It takes forever to finally downshift and take off, and i dont mean like a slight hesitation, like literraly a good solid almost 10 seconds, ... and times it will even shift into overdrive well the pedal is too the floor, just cruising like its all normal. then... it catches and takes off. usualy after the car's been driven a while it doesnt do that any more, but it sux when i wanna run someone and they floor it and my car just keeps going and there i am still crusing, then when they slow down my car takes off... ggrr...

i dunno if this is a tranny problem or what, but i hate it.

My tranny was rebuilt last year, has a shift kit and stock stall (which will be changed soon) anybody have this problem or know what it might be??
Old 08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Who rebuilt your trans?

The first "built" 4L60E trans that I bought did something kinda like what you've described; delayed downshifting. But it didn't take 10 seconds (maybe 2-3 seconds) and it didn't get any better as it warmed up (always the same).

After a while there would be times where it wouldn't downshift at all so I just replaced the trans. What I learned is that you really have to be careful with rebuilds, performance or stock rebuilds. That first trans I got was junk.

I went to a much better trans builder for the second trans (FLP/FLT), and the shifts (both up and down) were now instant, like the blink of an eye. BIG improvement.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might sound real basic, check your trans fluid. My trans freaks when it is slightly low on fluid.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Caribe
Might sound real basic, check your trans fluid. My trans freaks when it is slightly low on fluid.
Good point!

I was just assuming that the fluid level had already been checked. 4L60Es are real touchy about being low on fluid, it causes silly stuff to happen.

Gotta start with the basics!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll definitly have to check it out then... maybe i'll add a little just to be sure...