General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I'm incredibly stupid. Flooded motor w/ water, pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to the ins. co. and they said a estimate has been done, but it's not approved yet. I should be getting a copy of the estimate and a check within a week. I can't wait to see what they want to do.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Default ins

keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

I just got off the phone with State Farm, and they are sending me a check for $3850.00. They really wouldn't say what work needed to be done, so I called the GM dealer my car is at. They said the entire motor needed to be replaced, and the price estimated was for a replacement used motor with equal or less miles. I asked the service rep whether they were using the same PCM and he said yes, and they would use all my old intake stuff. The service guy also said the motor was "locked up" when I did push start it and ran it for at least 3 miles after I had it towed. Should I take the $$, flush the block out well, and get the block TIG welded at a shop somewhere? Or just have the dealer do the motor swap?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

You can get a 2001 Ls1 Corvette crate motor from Mizfit Motorsports for $3750.00. I just did. Contact Taylor and see if he has any left. You can't beat a whole new motor with a 12/12,000 mile warranty.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snootch
I just got off the phone with State Farm, and they are sending me a check for $3850.00. They really wouldn't say what work needed to be done, so I called the GM dealer my car is at. They said the entire motor needed to be replaced, and the price estimated was for a replacement used motor with equal or less miles. I asked the service rep whether they were using the same PCM and he said yes, and they would use all my old intake stuff. The service guy also said the motor was "locked up" when I did push start it and ran it for at least 3 miles after I had it towed. Should I take the $$, flush the block out well, and get the block TIG welded at a shop somewhere? Or just have the dealer do the motor swap?
I'm concerned about you leaving it up to the dealership to find an engine for it. Chances are it would turn out okay but man that would drive me insane not knowing exactly where it came from. Also if something came up and you had to sell the car, you'd be trying to explain to people that it had a used engine put in it, and some don't want to hear that.

Is this your only car? If so I guess you might not really have much of a choice but to let the dealership do it.

If I read your posts right, you said that it just put a hole in the block. I assume the valves are okay in the head? Honestly if I were you I would find a new shortblock from a vendor here (most come with a good warranty) and reuse everything else that you have (send the heads off to get cleaned up). I am at work so I can't see vendor websites (filter!!) but I know for certain there has GOT to be an affordable short block combo out there...that way it'll be new and there will be no questions about it.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by keliente
I'm concerned about you leaving it up to the dealership to find an engine for it. Chances are it would turn out okay but man that would drive me insane not knowing exactly where it came from. Also if something came up and you had to sell the car, you'd be trying to explain to people that it had a used engine put in it, and some don't want to hear that.

Is this your only car? If so I guess you might not really have much of a choice but to let the dealership do it.

If I read your posts right, you said that it just put a hole in the block. I assume the valves are okay in the head? Honestly if I were you I would find a new shortblock from a vendor here (most come with a good warranty) and reuse everything else that you have (send the heads off to get cleaned up). I am at work so I can't see vendor websites (filter!!) but I know for certain there has GOT to be an affordable short block combo out there...that way it'll be new and there will be no questions about it.
Yes, this is my only car. My wife is getting pissed that she has to drive me to work/stay late to pick me up. The only part of the block that is messed up is the tapped hole that's broken out for the starter mounting point (yellow circle on pics). I don't know why the service manager told me the motor is "locked up" when I push started it and ran it before taking it to the dealer. My buddy said that I should only accept the used motor if it has service records (which it probably won't) and tell the ins. co. that I need either a new motor, or a used one with service records. I'm trying to call the service manager to ask about the service records, for all I know this motor coud've been overheated several times, or a stressed out block from getting wrapped around a tree or whatever.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Id have to agree with your buddy. Id be raising hell with my insurance company if they wanted to replace my engine with a used unit. They are trying to pull the depreciation card, but the problem is they have very little chance of finding a motor that they can prove has equal/lesser miles that is in as good or better condition as yours was before the water. I would call St Farm back and politely voice these concerns and insist that a used engine is not acceptable because it will not return your car to the condition it was in before the accident.

I would argue until I got them to cover a new engine and install. Get the check for that, buy a new shortblock and reuse my existing heads/intake/accessories and have some extra cash. But I have an extra car to drive.

GL
Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snootch
Yes, this is my only car. My wife is getting pissed that she has to drive me to work/stay late to pick me up. The only part of the block that is messed up is the tapped hole that's broken out for the starter mounting point (yellow circle on pics). I don't know why the service manager told me the motor is "locked up" when I push started it and ran it before taking it to the dealer. My buddy said that I should only accept the used motor if it has service records (which it probably won't) and tell the ins. co. that I need either a new motor, or a used one with service records. I'm trying to call the service manager to ask about the service records, for all I know this motor coud've been overheated several times, or a stressed out block from getting wrapped around a tree or whatever.
I doubt they will find you one with service records. Half the time they don't know the mileage of the car it came out of because once a car gets knocked up good in a wreck sometimes the odometer quits.

$3850 is a good chunk of change. I don't think they will buy you a new engine (considering it'd cost like ~$6k from GM) because your car is not new. I would just take the check they gave you, order a new shortblock from a vendor & have a local performance shop put it in. They often work for $50-$60/hour versus $90/hour at a dealership, so your money would go a lot further.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'm currently arguing w/ them right now, and calling revxtreme to see what solutions they may have. State farm is quoting the policy as if were the bible, citing a "like replacement" and saying they will warrantee the motor.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

How many miles are on your car?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

80K miles.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the eyes of the insurance comapny, its the mileage of a motor not how well it was taken care of that determines if the car was returned to the condition it was in before the accident. if the motor "runs" and has less than or equal to 80k miles on it in your case, that is better than it was before the accident according to the insurance company, even if the car was wrapped around a tree and the block was stressed and has a few hairline cracks in it that will probably grenade in 10k miles. (read: when the "warranty" is up.) I want to hit on a point that no one else has hit on yet. If this was a car such as a caviler where a dent in the door totals it, then you may find a good motor somewhere. But on a car like this that takes a devistating accident that can damage the drivetrain beyond repair, to total it out, your chances of finding a good engine are slim to none. And chances are likely that if the car was totaled, it was bought up at the auction and parted out, or a junkyard got it and has the engine, which is probably damaged from the accident.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

OK, I just got off the phone with my buddy, and he said that because the car has 80K miles on it, State Farm is a lot less willing to be flexible than if the motor had 20K on it. He said that a GM dealer gets their parts from "GM certified" salvage dealers that don't sell the dealer messed up parts like maybe you might get from a mom & pop salvage yard. He said i'd be better off with the salvage motor than mine, due to the water being in the block for a week has already probably caused some corrosion internally and quite possibly in the crank bearings. He said since the salvage motor is warranteed for 90 days/30,000 miles, I should run the **** out of the motor; and any problems will make themselves apparrent within a few days. I still haven't heard back from revextreme yet; I asked them if they could get me a crate motor installed for less than $4500. If they aren't able to do it, I guess I have no choice but to do the salvage motor.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

if it is at all possible you should try to get a new aftermarket shortblock from one of the sponsors, the range i have seen is between $2100+core to $3000 for a 346-348 sized shortblock. i have a quote from a local f-body shop of $1500+ gaskets and fluids to replace the shortblock, it would be much nicer than getting a used motor, and at almost the same cost i would be fighting to get it done like that if i were you.

i doubt the insurance company would like that idea and lying to them is against the law but....

Last edited by spy2520; 08-22-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of our sponsors have forged 347-348 ci shortblocks for $2,800, no core. I have also seen very low mileage LS6 shortblocks go for $1,500.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default hey

i would get check and buy forged bottom end and just have the top checked out just my .02
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

who the hell puts 30k miles on their car in 3 months?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
Some of our sponsors have forged 347-348 ci shortblocks for $2,800, no core. I have also seen very low mileage LS6 shortblocks go for $1,500.
I'll look into that, but I afraid that the cost of the block + shipping + install would push me over $4500. Hopefully Revxtreme can find one for me so they can do it locally. If anyone knows of a low milage LS6, please PM me with the info.

Originally Posted by bww3588
who the hell puts 30k miles on their car in 3 months?
I dunno, I thought 30K miles was alot for 90 days, but whatever.

Originally Posted by spy2520
i doubt the insurance company would like that idea and lying to them is against the law but....
Lying? I don't need to. They are cutting me a check. I can use it at the GM dealer where the estimate was made, or I can keep the money, or spend it on having someone else replace the motor. They don't care what I do with it.

Last edited by Snootch; 08-23-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Will they prorate the cost of a new engine?....ie they determine that a new engine should last to 200K miles....yours had 80, meaning yours was only 40% used, so St Farm pays for 60% of the cost of a new engine plus the cost to remove and replace (since that has to be done regardless of the engine choice). I think it is in your best interests to stay away from a used engine.

90 day warranty is crap. But start asking some questions..Who is issuing the warranty? GM, Salvage Yard, or St Farm. If the engine goes bad in the 90 days, what is it replaced with? The dollar amount? Another used engine? What if another used engine with less than 80K isn't sitting there available, what do you drive until it surfaces? Who is paying for the cost of replacing it if the engine is bad? What qualifies as bad? If the car uses 2 qts a month, but still runs, is that ok? Used engine is a bad deal for a daily driver car, especially a nice car like yours. If I had a Cavalier with 200K on it and the engine crapped, I go buy a used one for 150 bucks and swap it out, but your car is much nicer and still work a good chunk of change.

I would go out of my way to find out the easiest/cheaper/quickest way to get a new shortblock in that car.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I just talked to Revxtreme, and they are working on getting me into a shortblock and putting on my heads, intake, pumps, etc. from my old engine. They may be able to get it done for under $4500. I'll hear back from them later today to see if it is going to be a reality.