General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I'm incredibly stupid. Flooded motor w/ water, pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Snootch

I dunno, I thought 30K miles was alot for 90 days, but whatever.
you better get to driving

Lying? I don't need to. They are cutting me a check. I can use it at the GM dealer where the estimate was made, or I can keep the money, or spend it on having someone else replace the motor. They don't care what I do with it.
he could spend it on 4500 double cheese burgers at McDonalds!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear, this is not my week. I found out this morning from revxtreme that they could order me a Lingenfelter forged shortblock, installed in my car, and it would only take about two weeks to get it and install it. The price was $850 over what the insurance check covered, but whatever- it's a forged shortblock, how often do you get an oppurtunity for something like this? I told them i'd have the car to them today.

BUT.... when I called the GM dealer, they said they already had my motor out of the car. WTH!!! I told them I did not authorize them to start work on it, and they said that I did when I dropped it off. The ******* form I signed when I dropped it off was not only a reciept that I dropped the car off to them, but also a repair agreement. So now, I have to go with their salvage motor. I can't afford the $700 they want for labor in removing my motor, plus the $850 at revxtreme, and the $800 core charge I would have to eat since my block is fucked up. (revx was going to hook me up on that one) So I went out to where my TA was, and saw the 64K motor they want to put in my car. It is either a '01 or '02 motor as it has the LS6 intake. The mechanic that is working on it is pretty knowlegeable about LS1's, and is going to do a side deal with me on getting my 2000 cam into this newer motor. I think things are going to be alright though it really pisses me off that the ******* dealership screwed me out of a chance to get a forged shortblock cheaply.
I still am going to drive the **** out of it for a few weeks and then get it dyno'ed at revx to see if i'm better off hp-wise than I was. After I dyno it, I'm gonna seafoam it to clean it out.

EDIT: I am doing a side deal with the mechanic, and he is going to install a Zo6 cam and Zo6 springs for me, as well as make sure my SPEC-3 clutch with billet steel flywheel make the transition. $250 is not a bad price for those cam/springs and install, even though it is not a monster cam. I just wanted a stock sounding cam with better performance than stock. I don't think I made out too bad, although that forged Lingenfelter shortblock would've been really nice.

Last edited by Snootch; 08-23-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

wow, and i thought my weeks were bad, atleast insurance covered yours though, i have to get a used shortblock out of pocket...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spy2520
wow, and i thought my weeks were bad, atleast insurance covered yours though, i have to get a used shortblock out of pocket...
Oh, the car was only the tip of the iceberg. I've been noticing a wet/mold spot that has been getting bigger on the ceiling of my front bedroom closet. I got a roofer out here to repair the leak. The estimate was $890 to tear off a 8' X 8' section of roofing, and re-lay tar paper and seal + shingle it. What the roofer found was a 4' X 4' area at the corner of the roof (over the closet) that never had gotten tarpapered. It looked like the builders of my house tar papered the entire roof and ran out and just said "screw it" and shingled over the bare chipboard plywood. The wood was all black and soft, and there was 3" of mold underneath it. The repair guy (who has been roofing for 17 years) told me that it probably has been leaking since day one. They had to get a sawzall and cut out lots of 2x4 and replace it all. It ended up costing me $1400.

All because some jack-offs decided beer-thirty was more important than finishing their job properly. That really pissed me off. Then this car thing happened. That just set me off. When the service manager told me that I DID authorize him to start repairs with my signature when I dropped it off, I really don't know what stopped me from going total apeshit on him. Yeah, a totally shitty week.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

ur lucky thats all that happened really it could of been alot worse
Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Dam Roofers. Cant wait to hear those dyno numbers with the Z06 cam.

Take it easy,
Jim
Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

I Hydro Locked my stock engine when I was in Texas. I was at idle when it happend and no damage to the engine at all. I was lucky. the dealership there took care of it and I had the car back in 2 days.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, the car was only the tip of the iceberg. I've been noticing a wet/mold spot that has been getting bigger on the ceiling of my front bedroom closet. I got a roofer out here to repair the leak. The estimate was $890 to tear off a 8' X 8' section of roofing, and re-lay tar paper and seal + shingle it. What the roofer found was a 4' X 4' area at the corner of the roof (over the closet) that never had gotten tarpapered. It looked like the builders of my house tar papered the entire roof and ran out and just said "screw it" and shingled over the bare chipboard plywood. The wood was all black and soft, and there was 3" of mold underneath it. The repair guy (who has been roofing for 17 years) told me that it probably has been leaking since day one. They had to get a sawzall and cut out lots of 2x4 and replace it all. It ended up costing me $1400.

All because some jack-offs decided beer-thirty was more important than finishing their job properly. That really pissed me off. Then this car thing happened. That just set me off. When the service manager told me that I DID authorize him to start repairs with my signature when I dropped it off, I really don't know what stopped me from going total apeshit on him. Yeah, a totally shitty week.
The roof didn't have a warranty? I just had mine fixed no questions asked. Should have at least a 5 year warranty.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

The house was built in '99, but it would be like trying to get blood from a stone with the builder. I'm also leaving for Korea in 30 days and selling the house, so I have no time to try to fight it. Also, the mechanic called, and said both timing chains on both motors were loose and had some slop so he's also installing a new one for me for $75.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

the reason you didnt go total ape **** on the GM garage was because they have the life of your car in their hands unfortunately.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

i think if you would have been there in person to speak with him you'd probably be in jail right now, i know i would. but again, atleast it didnt cost you anything, i got a partially broke trans and completely destroyed shortblock on top of that this is my DD, anybody know how hard it is to put in extra hours at work to pay for this when you have to get a ride both ways. talk about SNAFU....
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

OK, An update:

I got the car back, and have been flogging it pretty well the last few days with no problems. The idle is a little meaner, and there seems to be a slight more valvetrain noise, but I guess that is to be expected with the Zo6 cam/spring upgrade. Tonight on the way home I ran into some woman with a stock '06 Roush Mustang (stage 2). She launched the car pretty well off the light and I wasn't prepared since I didn't think she would go. She jumped out 1/2 car ahead, and stayed there until about 50 or so when she had to let off because of a car in her lane. At the next light she commented that she liked the way my exhaust sounded. We didn't really get much wide open road after that except right after a left turn, and it's kinda hard to launch around a corner, especially if your'e on the outside lane. . After the turn I opened it up and leaped ahead of her, but there was some traffic around; I don't think she was really on it at that point. The encounter kinda pissed me off since during the brief acceleration I did not gain on her, and my shifter jammed on the 2-3 shift (SLP short throw shifter/UMI stick). From what I've read the Roush stage 2 mustang is 300hp with a body kit. I'm also sure my stereo gear and sound deadening is slowing me down, since I'm sure it all weighs about 250 lbs. The car seems to be driving fine, but what kinda gains would I realize with a dyno tune? RevXtreme charges $500 for a tune, and that's kinda steep right now for me. What do you all think?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

sounds to me like you got a pretty good setup. but i wouldnt count your cylnders just yet. knock on wood and all the other ****, and try to forget you could have had a forged shortblock if it werent for the stealership.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Launching!

The car seems to be driving fine, but what kinda gains would I realize with a dyno tune? RevXtreme charges $500 for a tune, and that's kinda steep right now for me. What do you all think?
You'd probably pick up 20-30hp. I'd definitely get a tune, although you don't necessarily need a dyno tune. Just get a HPTuners wideband for a couple of hundred.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn I just caught this thread now. Sorry to hear about all the misfortune. TTP was/is selling an LS6 shortblock with 9000 miles for 600 dollars. Could have helped you out some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/551049-ls6-shortblock-fs-local-pickup-only-600-a.html
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Damn I just caught this thread now. Sorry to hear about all the misfortune. TTP was/is selling an LS6 shortblock with 9000 miles for 600 dollars. Could have helped you out some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551049
Thanks.