Reliability of High Mileage 3.8 V6? - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reliability of High Mileage 3.8 V6?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #21
TECH Regular
 
TA_Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_g View Post
Hey, maybe now we can answer the reliability question of the series III!
Hahaha .... if we don't see an answer from the series III guys - well that could be the answer.
TA_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

Fate is a weird bird........I just bought a beautiful 98 Camaro V6 Y87<factory v8 brakes, dual exhaust, performance 3.42 axle, and high effort steering. 85k original miles, has a few dents and some issues but it runs and drives incredible. I think it out handles my 01 Ram Air TA in the twistys by quite a bit. Also has unreal acceleration for a v6, Gm geared it right. I had a Nissan Altima challenge me from a dead stop and later after I let them catch on the highway 55-100 mph smoked them badly AND IT HAS THE ORGINAL PLUGS AND WIRES! Seems to get really good fuel mileage too but I didn't actually check it.

Bright Red too so every cop looks at me then laughs to see a gray haired old man getting his groove on. Only in America!
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #23
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Fate is a weird bird........I just bought a beautiful 98 Camaro V6 Y87<factory v8 brakes, dual exhaust, performance 3:42 axle, and high effort steering. 85k original miles, has a few dents and some issues but it runs and drives incredible. I think it out handles my 01 Ram Air TA in the twistys by quite a bit. Also has unreal acceleration for a v6, Gm geared it right. I had a Nissan Altima challenge me from a dead stop and later after I let them catch on the highway 55-100 mph smoked them badly AND IT HAS THE ORGINAL PLUGS AND WIRES! Seems to get really good fuel mileage too but I didn't actually check it.

Bright Red too so every cop looks at me then laughs to see a gray haired old man getting his groove on. Only in America!
The Y87 packages were the ultimate V6's for the 4th Gens, I have owned two of them and the 3.42's really make that motor shine, along with the performance factory muffler. The handling wise, yes.. the V6 will out handle its V8 counterpart factory for factory assuming tires are equal - It's a more nimble vehicle, better turning radius, and TYPICALLY weighs less.

From a dig I could see you taking an Altima no issue, from a roll though, I'm not so sure.. I think the Altima should have an advantage with the only advantage the F-Body would have is probably less weight and rear wheel drive but power wise the Altima definately should have more top end than the 3.8 does.

I know this thread is 10 years old, but for the GTP motors, the one thing that is scary about the higher mileage ones is that alot of negligent owners run 87 octane in them and that craps out the piston rings thus oil consumption or worse, entire rebuild necessary.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

I thought they were made to run regular?
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #25
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Not the GTP's, they required premium, they were supercharged variants of the 3.8's, great power but 87 Octane is very known to kill those motors over time so you have to watch out if you get a high mileage one as more often than not someone had no clue and used 87 Octane in them.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #26
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

Any idea if the 98 v6 Camaros with posi got the Auburn or Torsen carrier? I didn't pull the cover yet but when I checked the posi on the lift both wheels were locked together like a Auburn would be BUt I've seen the Torsens fail locked like this too. Unfortunately the rear whines pretty badly from 35mph up. Going to have to go in there and see what it needs.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #27
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Any idea if the 98 v6 Camaros with posi got the Auburn or Torsen carrier? I didn't pull the cover yet but when I checked the posi on the lift both wheels were locked together like a Auburn would be BUt I've seen the Torsens fail locked like this too. Unfortunately the rear whines pretty badly from 35mph up. Going to have to go in there and see what it needs.
Those Posi's required a special additive to go with their differential fluid, I forgot exactly what it was called, but without it - they will not only whine but function like an open end dif.

As for what brand? given it its a stock 10 bolt on an F-Body, expect it to be the cheapest you can get on there lol.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
Launching!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Those Posi's required a special additive to go with their differential fluid, I forgot exactly what it was called, but without it - they will not only whine but function like an open end dif.

As for what brand? given it its a stock 10 bolt on an F-Body, expect it to be the cheapest you can get on there lol.
Are you talking about 'limited slip additive'?
big_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #29
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

Its either a Auburn or a Torsen.....I'd bet money its Auburn just from driving it.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #30
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_g View Post
Are you talking about 'limited slip additive'?
Yeah, thats it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #31
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
komik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 518
Default

Wow. I was surprised to stumble across my old thread with new activity.

In the last ten years I did in fact buy a used Series III V6 in a 98 Grand Prix GTP. It had a bad piston and was replaced under warranty from the dealer. The rebuilt / salvage engine they put in ran great the rest of the time I had the car. My brother flipped it on a curve trying to dodge a deer. The engine still fired up and idled normally (with a bit of smoke out the exhaust) after it sat right side up for a few weeks.
komik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Default

2001 Monte SS, drove it off the dealer lot New and it just turned 260k miles
new tranny at 169k, new ps pump at 225k, new steering rack at 240k, new water pump, hoses
and radiator at 220k, use pennz 5w30 full synthetic every 5k, Miles , doesn’t burn a drop of oil
drive it back and forth from Tucson to Kansas City several times a year. Runs as smooth as the day we brought it home and still gets 31mpg!!
Paul Ulasien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #33
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ulasien View Post
2001 Monte SS, drove it off the dealer lot New and it just turned 260k miles
new tranny at 169k, new ps pump at 225k, new steering rack at 240k, new water pump, hoses
and radiator at 220k, use pennz 5w30 full synthetic every 5k, Miles , doesn’t burn a drop of oil
drive it back and forth from Tucson to Kansas City several times a year. Runs as smooth as the day we brought it home and still gets 31mpg!!
Yeah, as long as they are maintained the 3.8's are fricken tanks that will still run even if you shot a bullet through the block.. plain diehard motors and just will not die unless you intentionally try to murder it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #34
Pontiacerator
iTrader: (12)
 
RevGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wichita KS / Rancho San Diego
Posts: 5,205
Default

I schooled my two boys on 4th gens on Y87 cars. We've learned some lessons over the long haul with them. Coolant maintenance is critical. Failure to do so results in failed head gaskets. Once the original ICM goes bad, be prepared to replace it every 25-30k. Good plug wires are critical to a good running 3800. If these items are good, and you're having driveability issues, replace the MAF.

All that being said, with my LS1 DD currently being down for the count, I'm daily driving my son's old 2002 3.8 car for the time being. While it's no powerhouse, it gets around town just fine, and in a pathetic and perverse kind of way, I actually enjoy driving it.
RevGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #35
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 24,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGTO View Post
Once the original ICM goes bad, be prepared to replace it every 25-30k.
I noticed this with mine as well, even though it was a GM replacement piece. It just didn't last nearly as long as I think it should have.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #36
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGTO View Post
I schooled my two boys on 4th gens on Y87 cars. We've learned some lessons over the long haul with them. Coolant maintenance is critical. Failure to do so results in failed head gaskets. Once the original ICM goes bad, be prepared to replace it every 25-30k. Good plug wires are critical to a good running 3800. If these items are good, and you're having driveability issues, replace the MAF.

All that being said, with my LS1 DD currently being down for the count, I'm daily driving my son's old 2002 3.8 car for the time being. While it's no powerhouse, it gets around town just fine, and in a pathetic and perverse kind of way, I actually enjoy driving it.
Indeed while the 3.8's are nothing on the level of an LS1 they do have nice low end torque and the F-Body feel still remains with them. With the proper time, money and dedication they can be made to some pretty respectable power levels as well, its just...for the time and money invested, LS will always be the better option.

I actually kind of wonder the what if's... if GM had continued producing them and applied the DI and DoD technology as they did the 3.6... I could easily see a 350 HP V6 possible that still gets 30+ MPG on the freeway just out the factory if they were biult with todays head, DI combo... That wouldn't be anything to sneeze at especially if combined with the light chassis 6th Gen
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #37
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

It runs well BUT unfortunately the oil pressure gauge is all over the place. The engine runs completely quiet so I don't think there is a real oil pressure issue but it sure takes the fun out of driving it worrying about it. I tried a new sender but it does the same dam thing. Temp gauge is all over the place too, replaced the sending unit and it didn't help. It also has a very funky cold start noise, sounds like a loud gurgling sound like a air pump but it doesn't have a air pump. Once its warmed up the funky gurgling noise is gone. I found a bunch people online that complain about this noise including Impala owners but not a single answer as to what it is. I'm suspecting piston noise until it warms up although it doesn't knock so who knows but its LOUD.

I put 10k miles on it but ended up doing ALOT of maintenance including intake gaskets(huge pita) but I'm thinking about selling it before any other trouble comes up.

The used car dealer I bought it from lied about its origin so the car is worth half what I paid for it. I could go after them legally but you know how that goes....more trouble than I need. Car is ok just not what I wanted, thought I was buying a 2 owner low mileage car that came from a new car dealer. Actually a POS that 2 used car dealers dumped at the auction. I repaired most of the issue's but it sure as hell not the car I expected for what I paid and I'm not going to pass it off and lie about it to anyone like the dealer did. Gonna it as Make A Offer and see where it goes.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #38
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
It runs well BUT unfortunately the oil pressure gauge is all over the place. The engine runs completely quiet so I don't think there is a real oil pressure issue but it sure takes the fun out of driving it worrying about it. I tried a new sender but it does the same dam thing. Temp gauge is all over the place too, replaced the sending unit and it didn't help. It also has a very funky cold start noise, sounds like a loud gurgling sound like a air pump but it doesn't have a air pump. Once its warmed up the funky gurgling noise is gone. I found a bunch people online that complain about this noise including Impala owners but not a single answer as to what it is. I'm suspecting piston noise until it warms up although it doesn't knock so who knows but its LOUD.

I put 10k miles on it but ended up doing ALOT of maintenance including intake gaskets(huge pita) but I'm thinking about selling it before any other trouble comes up.

The used car dealer I bought it from lied about its origin so the car is worth half what I paid for it. I could go after them legally but you know how that goes....more trouble than I need. Car is ok just not what I wanted, thought I was buying a 2 owner low mileage car that came from a new car dealer. Actually a POS that 2 used car dealers dumped at the auction. I repaired most of the issue's but it sure as hell not the car I expected for what I paid and I'm not going to pass it off and lie about it to anyone like the dealer did. Gonna it as Make A Offer and see where it goes.

The fluctuating oil pressure and gurgling sound may be a bigger issue than you think. It sounds like pending lifter / valve spring failure which is why it goes away when the car warms up. For the coolant temp fluctuation, I would replace the thermostat.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #39
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,154
Default

I replaced the thermostat twice, sender twice too same result. Its a 98 so it has 2 coolant temp circuits, 1 for the gauge 1 for the computer. When I scan the computer the temp info looks right, but it doesn't match the temp gauge. The 98s don't have a buffer built into the Temp gauge like the 99 up cars. I pulled the gauge cluster then reseated all the gauges etc but still no better. Car runs perfect and doesn't seem to have any lifter issues. No missing or tapping but that dam cold gurgling sound that I found post after post is a pisser. If you listen closely it sounds like the throttle body is making the noise but I think its just amplifying it. I still think its some kind of piston noise, because its almost soft rocky sound. Also the oil pressure acts very odd but warmed up the engine sounds and runs perfectly. I can shut the engine off then instantly restart it and the oil pressure will be different. I pulled the pressure regulator valve out and inspected everything. Looked all good, If the car was worth more than 1500 I'd has someone pull the engine and go through it but hell that would cost 2k easily. I'm just gonna sell it off, It may run forever who knows.


Here is discussion about the noise, seems very common http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...oise-in-Engine

Last edited by RockinWs6; 12-30-2017 at 12:51 PM.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #40
Pontiacerator
iTrader: (12)
 
RevGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wichita KS / Rancho San Diego
Posts: 5,205
Default

On the contrary, I can't help but notice how quiet this V6 car is when cold compared to my LS1 with rowdy piston slap.
RevGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prc .650 dual valve spring life? rdd014camaro Generation III Internal Engine 25 12-14-2017 02:17 PM
LS7 Bare Block with less than 9,000 miles lamboworld Parts Classifieds 5 10-11-2017 08:35 PM
Ls1 shoehead PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 1 09-13-2017 07:10 PM
How many miles does your V have? A-Bomb Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) 176 03-29-2017 02:08 PM


Tags
2001, 38, 38l, camaro, daily, driver, engines, gm, high, iii, mileage, miles, reliability, series, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: