Reliability of High Mileage 3.8 V6? - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reliability of High Mileage 3.8 V6?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #21
TECH Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_g View Post
Hey, maybe now we can answer the reliability question of the series III!
Hahaha .... if we don't see an answer from the series III guys - well that could be the answer.
TA_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #22
TECH Fanatic

Fate is a weird bird........I just bought a beautiful 98 Camaro V6 Y87<factory v8 brakes, dual exhaust, performance 3.42 axle, and high effort steering. 85k original miles, has a few dents and some issues but it runs and drives incredible. I think it out handles my 01 Ram Air TA in the twistys by quite a bit. Also has unreal acceleration for a v6, Gm geared it right. I had a Nissan Altima challenge me from a dead stop and later after I let them catch on the highway 55-100 mph smoked them badly AND IT HAS THE ORGINAL PLUGS AND WIRES! Seems to get really good fuel mileage too but I didn't actually check it.

Bright Red too so every cop looks at me then laughs to see a gray haired old man getting his groove on. Only in America!
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Fate is a weird bird........I just bought a beautiful 98 Camaro V6 Y87<factory v8 brakes, dual exhaust, performance 3:42 axle, and high effort steering. 85k original miles, has a few dents and some issues but it runs and drives incredible. I think it out handles my 01 Ram Air TA in the twistys by quite a bit. Also has unreal acceleration for a v6, Gm geared it right. I had a Nissan Altima challenge me from a dead stop and later after I let them catch on the highway 55-100 mph smoked them badly AND IT HAS THE ORGINAL PLUGS AND WIRES! Seems to get really good fuel mileage too but I didn't actually check it.

Bright Red too so every cop looks at me then laughs to see a gray haired old man getting his groove on. Only in America!
The Y87 packages were the ultimate V6's for the 4th Gens, I have owned two of them and the 3.42's really make that motor shine, along with the performance factory muffler. The handling wise, yes.. the V6 will out handle its V8 counterpart factory for factory assuming tires are equal - It's a more nimble vehicle, better turning radius, and TYPICALLY weighs less.

From a dig I could see you taking an Altima no issue, from a roll though, I'm not so sure.. I think the Altima should have an advantage with the only advantage the F-Body would have is probably less weight and rear wheel drive but power wise the Altima definately should have more top end than the 3.8 does.

I know this thread is 10 years old, but for the GTP motors, the one thing that is scary about the higher mileage ones is that alot of negligent owners run 87 octane in them and that craps out the piston rings thus oil consumption or worse, entire rebuild necessary.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #24
TECH Fanatic

I thought they were made to run regular?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #25
TECH Resident

Not the GTP's, they required premium, they were supercharged variants of the 3.8's, great power but 87 Octane is very known to kill those motors over time so you have to watch out if you get a high mileage one as more often than not someone had no clue and used 87 Octane in them.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #26
TECH Fanatic

Any idea if the 98 v6 Camaros with posi got the Auburn or Torsen carrier? I didn't pull the cover yet but when I checked the posi on the lift both wheels were locked together like a Auburn would be BUt I've seen the Torsens fail locked like this too. Unfortunately the rear whines pretty badly from 35mph up. Going to have to go in there and see what it needs.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #27
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Any idea if the 98 v6 Camaros with posi got the Auburn or Torsen carrier? I didn't pull the cover yet but when I checked the posi on the lift both wheels were locked together like a Auburn would be BUt I've seen the Torsens fail locked like this too. Unfortunately the rear whines pretty badly from 35mph up. Going to have to go in there and see what it needs.
Those Posi's required a special additive to go with their differential fluid, I forgot exactly what it was called, but without it - they will not only whine but function like an open end dif.

As for what brand? given it its a stock 10 bolt on an F-Body, expect it to be the cheapest you can get on there lol.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Those Posi's required a special additive to go with their differential fluid, I forgot exactly what it was called, but without it - they will not only whine but function like an open end dif.

As for what brand? given it its a stock 10 bolt on an F-Body, expect it to be the cheapest you can get on there lol.
Are you talking about 'limited slip additive'?
big_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #29
TECH Fanatic

Its either a Auburn or a Torsen.....I'd bet money its Auburn just from driving it.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #30
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_g View Post
Are you talking about 'limited slip additive'?
Yeah, thats it.