General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clean out or flush gas tank...?? any ideas?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean out or flush gas tank...?? any ideas?

My tank is loaded with **** anybody flushed theres out? how? or whats the best way to approach it. its so bad that clogged my injectors, then the filter and burned out a pump..
Old 08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if your pump is burned out, the only way to change is to drop the axle as far as possible, remove the muffler, unstrap the tank and slip it out at a off angle due to the filler neck.

So when its out, then clean out the tank using some solvents, flush and add a new pump.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

seafoam!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SladeX
well if your pump is burned out, the only way to change is to drop the axle as far as possible, remove the muffler, unstrap the tank and slip it out at a off angle due to the filler neck.

So when its out, then clean out the tank using some solvents, flush and add a new pump.
Cant you cut a hole in the hatch/trunk area and get the pump?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't recommend it because of the nature of being a hazard in a rear end situation

also, how do you expect to flush out anything from the tank while it's in the car? if it's that contaminated that it'll clog the pump and injectors, then I'd give the tank a good rinse down in the solvent wash.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SladeX
don't recommend it because of the nature of being a hazard in a rear end situation

also, how do you expect to flush out anything from the tank while it's in the car? if it's that contaminated that it'll clog the pump and injectors, then I'd give the tank a good rinse down in the solvent wash.
No I meant for just a pump change, but yes for flushing a tank you need to drop it. (Or maybe it can somehow be done with high pressure, dont know... - like they sometimes do transmission flushes)
Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

yah i went ahead and dropped the tank all kinds of nasty **** in there,,, almost makes me think it was sugar some of te stuff i got out of itt i couldnt even burn with a torch!! what the hell huh? anyway its cost me around a grand including fuel pump, fuel filter, new rails and 4 new injectors, sweet huh......

Search this Thread