General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mixing green & gold German Castrol?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing green & gold German Castrol?

Is this ill-advised? It's been tough to find and expensive so I cleaned out an AZ when I got the car. I ended up with an odd number because they were on sale for $3.99 and I stocked up. Now I have 3 quarts left, and just realized the new 3 I bought are all gold. The place I found the 3 gold I don't think even had 6. I was about to change the oil but am now reluctant.

I know people have said the gold is "as good or better", and using one then switching to the other is totally fine...but mixing them? I can't see what it could hurt, especially since it's essentially the same product....any experience though?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can absolutely mix green with gold. I had the same question as you, did some searching on bitog.com and lots of people do it. I've got half & half in my truck's motor right now since I only had 3 greens left.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's bitog.com? I went there but it didn't seem like much.....is that the right address or do you have to be a member or something? I couldn't find any info searching here...just questions like "Is the gold as good?" "Where do I find it?" etc.

Thanks for the info...generally I'd just play it safe and keep my eye open for 3 more gold and 3 more green....but finding any is hard enough I hate to just waste the 3 green since I'll probably never find more of it.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I abreviated.
It's actually www.bobistheoilguy.com, then click on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" link. Then go to the GC & Euro/Import forum and do some searching around.