General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Basic troubleshooting and Maintenance....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Basic troubleshooting and Maintenance....

i started this thread because ive seen alot of questions about easy problems or common questions about maintenance issue's and hopefully this can resolve them before any other step is needed......sorry if its kinda long but read through it

I: Basic troubleshooting

1: engine will not rotate when attempting to start:

*starter solenoid faulty
*starter motor faulty
*engine seized, try to turn the crankshaft with a breaker bar on the pulley bolt
*automatic tranny not in park
*battery faulty
*battery cables loose or corroded
*started motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear

2:starter motor poerates without turning the motor over
*pinion sticking
* pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken

3:engine starts but stops immediately
* loose or damaged wiring in the ignition
*intake manifold leaks

4:engine misses at idle speed
*spark plugs not gapped properly or are faulty
*faulty wires
*sticking emissions systems
*clogged fuel filter
*low cylinder compression

5:hesitation during acceleration
*ignition timing incorrect
*dirty or clogged fuel injectors
*low fuel pressure

6: engine lacks power
*incorrect timing
*incorrectly gapped plugs
*clutch slipping
*egr system not working properly
*brakes binding
*air filter dirty
*low cylinder compression
*vacuum leak

7:low oil psi or excessive consumption
*improper oil
*oil pump worn or damaged
* sending unit not working properly
*clogged oil filter
*clogged oil strainer
*loose or damaged bolts, gaskets, or plugs
*pistons and cylinders worn
*worn valve stems
*worn piston rings

8:misc. engine noises
*strong dull noise thatsbecomes more rapis with acceleration: damaged crankshaft or crankshaft bearings
*overlapping metalic noise that increases with engine speed increase but goes away after warm up: "piston slap" , abnormal piston and cylinder wear
*a rapid tapping sound or ticking: indicates valve tapping or stuck lifters

9:overheating
*lack of coolant in the system
*belts defective or worn
* radiator core blocked or grille dirty
*fan not working right
*thermostat broken
*ignition timing incorrect
*broken water pump
*bad oil

10:fuel odor
*fuel leakage
*charcoal canister filter or emissions not working right
*vapor leaks

II basic maintenance

many people differ in the "whens, whats, and hows" when it comes to maintenance on their cars....i will state what GM wants and you can take it from there

1:engine oil and changing
recommended oil is stated at SAE 10w-30, with 5.5 qaurts going into the LS1's....changes should be done every 3000 miles, be sure to add oil to the ring on the filter and dont dump your damn old oil, and finally dont change your oil when your cars hot

2:cooling
the LT1's and the 98 LS1 will hold 15 qaurts of fluid with a higher mixture of water being used. The 99 and newer LS1's take about 12 qaurts of orange dex-cool....just make sure you keep it all up...otherwise youll be burrying your dog or cat....also DONT EVER try to check your fluid level or release the cap after driving, let the car cool and take your time

3:misc.
oem stats on radiator caps are 15-18 psi and should be checked often, they fail easy, brake pad wear limit on oem's are 1/8 inch, and spark plug gaps for LS1's .060 with the firing order being 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3....replacing plugs can easly be done and only take a small amount of time, try the number 8 from underneath or above with a 3 inch extension...part # ac41-921,952,931...torque specs. on plugs are 132 inlbs, oil plug 15-20 ft-lbs

GM uses AC DELCO and BOSCH parts i know that these arent always the top of the list, but as for some small items they work well....like the AC DELCO iriduim spark plugs, ive got them in my car gapped a tad smaller at .055 and they run very good

some of the basic issues with working on a car include the fact that alot of people out there dont have time, money, or knowledge to do certain things. knowledge will only come from research and experience. many people are scared to mess with there cars, but you have to get off your butt and try things. always be sure to check and double check plugs, wires, fluids, filters..etc....90% of the time we think things are broke its just something we looked over . i will be adding more to this soon, im not sure if this is sticky worthy but i made it to try to save some space and time on this forum....if anyone has anything to add or the mods have something to say...have at it
Old 09-02-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

...ttt
Old 09-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty good, sticky worthy i say
Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

ill be adding more to this sunday or monday....adding a tranny section and suspension section to....