General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!! Coolant leak but where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Coolant leak but where?

HI everyone

Yesterday i was driving aroud town and smelled coolant at idle. Didnt think anything of it until I parked my car and it was leaking LOTS and LOTS of coolant. Leaked so much that my coolant reservoir was empty. Popped opened my hood and i heard "bubbly" sounds (like the boiling of water sound) coming from my coolant reservoir. There was white smoke coming out under the battery (assuming the coolant was splashing everything on the engine; hence the white smoke) White smoke also came from inside the reservoir after i opened it. There was also splashes of coolant on top of my battery as well. My temp gauge went up about 5 degrees, not passing the 200 mark. I turned up the heater, went down to its normal temp, alittle under 200.
Looked under the battery, the hoses and reservoir seems to be intact. Any ideas of what could be wrong ? My buddy says it can be an internal fan that stopped working.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one way to find out would be to 1) Add more coolant and start the car and watch for where the leak is comming out of. 2) Add some UV dye and use a black light and see where it is leaking. Depending on where it is leaking, That will determine what needs to be replaced.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean your motor then pressure test the system and look for the leak