General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why is my car running lean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my car running lean?

I had the engine tested and it said system bank 1 and 2 lean. Please give your opinion and help. It passed NJ emissions and inspection in January 06 with flying colors. Its been flashing on occasionaly since spring before the cold air and hood but now it is on most of the time.

I have a functional Firehawk hood and a KN FIPK right behind it so there is a lot of air going in I cleaned the throttle body out recently too.

Car and engine have 66xxx on it and it was taken care of but I don't know the full story of it. I got it with 58xx it still runs as good as the day I got it.

Oil is always synthetic and always changed on time.
Spark plugs are original but I have new iridiums waiting to go in. I recently seafoamed everything I could-I'm on the same tank of gas, oil has 80 miles with it, and only 1 good puff of blue smoke came out when I went on a spirited drive so it wasn't all that dirty inside the engine.

Mileage is still alright 230-240 if I drive it nice (3.23 geared auto) and it is stock internally.

I'm not sure how old the fuel filter is.

With all that info could someone guide me on what I should also look at doing maintenence wise and give any opinions.

Also I don't know how lean it is getting but could this seriously damage my engine.

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to provide all that I knew up front.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

not even a guess?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Teching In

mine was throwing a lean code, the other day my fuel pump went out, havent replaced it yet but im sure thats what was causing the code
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Milage sounds poor for sure....I can get 320 around town with a 3.42 driving nice,get as much as 480 on highway.
Maybe a poor injector?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a hard time believing that you get 320-480 MILES per tank (~16 gallons)

you get 30 mpg on the highway? Best i had was a drive from Indiana to Texas and that was ~26 mpg sitting at 75 the whole way.

i get about 240 in the city before i need to refill, and i've seen a lot of other ppl on here say they get 240, so that sounds normal.

Sorry i didn't really answer your question, i just don't see 480 mpg! :o
Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove to the Trans Am nationals in Ohio a couple weeks ago....got 27MPG with the top down.On the way back weather sucked so top up and windows closed got 29. So 16.8 gal tank X 29 = 487.2 and man, that was at 75MPH!! I was astounded.This was my first trip with car since I bought it. Have gotten 19.8 around town driving nice but after putting hooker cat back on all I want to do is WOT 'cause that soundsGREAT!!!!