General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Odd dash lighting problem-ASR, Fog Light switch, and Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd dash lighting problem-ASR, Fog Light switch, and Stereo

Well, I have a problem I can't figure out. A few weeks ago the light that illuminates the ASR switch went out, the one for the letters, not the orange one that shows that it is activated. So, I replaced the switch, can't just replace the bulb because the bulb is soldered in. After I replaced the switch the light that illuminates the fog light switch is out, as well as the 2,3,5, and 6 preset buttons on my Cd player. All the other lights are fine. I have checked the fuses and the connections but beyond that I don't know what the next step would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are a victim of bad luck. The illumination bulbs on the ASR and Foglight switches seem to be rather fragile / temperamental in my experience. Of course check the connections are fully seated and clean, but other than that it is very likely the jostling of working with one damaged the other.

I've worked with several ASR and Fog light switches and on probably half of them either the illum or indicator light was bad. I know for a fact I knocked out the indicator light on my ASR switch just popping the bezel off and on for radio work.

Far as the radio goes, if just some of the lights are out, then it isn't wiring, it's in the radio. The radio should've stayed in the dash through all of this, so it is probably again just bad luck.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Guess I just need to replace the fog light switch also. If I can't get to the bottom of the radio problem it will be a good excuse to uprade.